Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinkateb

Wrong info online

robinkateb
10 years ago

Please let me know if I am wrong, and if not help me correct the info on this blog post. On Food52, which has a big following, someone is stating you can pressure can reduced tomatoes without adding acid. My understanding is theoretically you could, but there have been no tests of what the procedure is. So following current canning safety means adding acid to tomatoes even when pressure canning. I commented that it is unsafe and was "corrected."

Here is a link that might be useful: Food52 Tomato Conserva

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I note that there are several posts addressing the safety issues of "canning" this recipe - both the acidity and the density issues. There is no safe way to can this recipe.

Unfortunately some folks are determined to turn everything into a canning recipe and you can warn them until you are blue in the face and they still go blissfully on their way. They simply do not care.

Using sites like this for canning info is a mistake to begin with and when the author makes it clear this is NOT a canning recipe but is intended for fridge storage only and some STILL insist on canning it it's a waste of time to try to convince them otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to convince everyone to use only safe home canning methods. But for any number of really silly reasons some folks are just determined to do what they want to do and could care less about the consequences or learning the correct methods. It is their risk to take, their price to pay.

JMO

Dave

• readinglady
    10 years ago

I think your original point is the appropriate one.

Strictly speaking, this method isn't unsafe. It's untested or unverified.

So those who choose to pressure can tomatoes without additional acid are operating according to an unproven assumption which may or may not be valid. I guess if they're comfortable with that sort of gamble, there's nothing we can do about it.

It is irresponsible for a website to publish information which isn't proven safe. However, we know the internet is rife with such sites. In canning especially it's caveat emptor with anything online.

Carol

• bb
    10 years ago

> It is irresponsible for a website to publish information which isn't proven safe.

reminds me of a quote I saw on the internet a few years back.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
    -Abraham Lincoln

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Went back this am and posted a comment.

Dave

• robinkateb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the back up. My problem is the person who corrected me in the comments on this recipe is the original author of the recipe and is well known as a canning blogger. Because of her notoriety what she says is accepted as true, even when it is unsafe.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Yes, and we all know frequency of blog posts and notoriety = credibility.

Which just goes to show how gullible some people are.

Carol

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Gullible is a 'nice' word for it Carol. :) Same goes for YouTube - if someone made a video tape of it it must be accurate.

I'm always reminded of the State Farm commercial - "They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true," the girl says as she is waiting for the "French model" (aka hairy gorilla) blind date she met on the internet.

Dave

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz