Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Honey instead of Sugar

Posted by uaskigyrl 7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 16:03

Since I've taken, about 95%, of refined white sugar out of my diet I've noticed that I've become super sensitive to white sugar. Yesterday at work, one of my coworkers brought in cookies, very small bite sized ones. I had two, they were delicious, and they totally made me wonky - all - day - long.

On a daily basis I use local honey to sweeten my foods. I use local honey because of the health properties present in the local plants. The allergy benefits to honey decrease as you move further and further away from the area you live (I think it's, like, a 25mile radius max)

I've been thinking of using honey instead of refined white sugar to can fruits, jams, jellies, etc. If I used unprocessed local honey to can, it would become broke with the first batch. I was thinking of just using cheaper, bulk honey from the grocery since I'm not using the honey for medicinal purposes but for preserving purposes.

Does anyone think that would work just as well? Thoughts? Did I make any sense?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Honey instead of Sugar

Since your honey will be processed during the cooking and canning time, it's not very economical to use unpasteurized, local honey. After all, it will become pasteurized, and lose any purported benefits. Nevertheless, I'd avoid honey originating in countries whose track records for tainted foods is suspect.

Having said that, I don't know of any good canning books for honey as the primary sweetener. I have one I found from the 70's, but it's outdated and might not comply with current safety standards.

Since we're beekeeping neophytes, I'd like a good source of recipes myself.

Deborah

o

Work just as well as sugar? No, it gives you a very different set on jams and jellies - much softer - and a shorter shelf life for fruits and other foods due to the development of molds. It also alters the flavor. Plus it won't give you the water binding effects of sugar that is needed in some recipes nor the color preservation.

If those factors are not important to you then I know of now other reasons you couldn't use it but the amount measurements/proportions would have to be guess work on your part as there are very few tested recipes AFAIK.

NCHFP:

Corn syrup and honey may be used to replace part of the sugar in recipes, but too much will mask the fruit flavor and alter the gel structure. Use tested recipes for replacing sugar with honey and corn syrup. Do not try to reduce the amount of sugar in traditional recipes. Too little sugar prevents gelling and may allow yeasts and molds to grow.

Dave

o

Have you heard of Agave Nectar? Never used it/tried it, but they do use it as a sweetener without the flavor or color of honey. Here you go...

Here is a link that might be useful: agave nectar WebMD

o

I do use honey occasionally in my jams, using Pomonas pectin for the set. I make small batch, so I don't worry about trying for a long shelf life, though I have noticed color change. You could try something of the type, and choose to freeze instead for quality purposes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here