Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I've noticed a lot of canning classes popping up in my area

Posted by wertach 7b SC (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 16:53

Have you?

I'm guessing that it is because of the higher food prices, plus tainted food. People wanting organic? So more people are canning?

I've been canning for 40 + years, but I planned to attended one Sat. to "brush up". But I got called in to work.... :(

I just saw 2 signs on my way home from work advertizing some more canning classes!

I'm glad that they are offering these classes, I'm trying to get some of my co-workers to go to them.

Especially Johnny, he asked me why his water bath green beans were spoiling!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I've noticed a lot of canning classes popping up in my area

Just be sure they are taught by people who have proper training if food preservation safety.
Not all people who can truly know what is or what is not safe.
Uhhh, green beans in a BWB canner ? That could be botulism in there....

o
RE: I've noticed a lot of canning classes popping up in my area

"That could be botulism in there.... "

Yes, that is why I'm trying to get Johnny to go to one! He ate the rest of them and didn't get sick or die, but I'm afraid he will do it again this year!

He did buy a pressure canner, I just hope he uses it!

His Mom told him to boil the jars of beans for 4 hours.... She's my about my age, 57, and she probably learned, wrong stuff, from her parents.

My parents also canned beans in a water bath, but they added about a cup of vinegar to each quart. They were basically pickled. But probably not completely safe. I did the same for years, then changed after I did some reading.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here