Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does strawberry jelly need lemon juice?

Posted by lat0403 Z7-SWOK (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 16:56

I see recipes with it and without it. The Blue Book doesn't have a recipe and I don't trust random recipe sites on the internet. Can I get an approved recipe?

Leslie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does strawberry jelly need lemon juice?

You should book mark NCHFP. They are the most trusted site for canning recipes on the internet. They have both strawberry jam with liquid pectin and strawberry jam with powdered pectin.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Jams and Jellies

o

The Blue Book has a couple of recipes - what edition are you looking at? I think the one(s) with pectin may not use lemon juice (I'd have to look) but I have made the "Heirloom Strawberry Preserves" w/o pectin and it uses lemon juice. Both batches came out rather stiff, goes to show you don't need pectin to get it to gel! I'm waiting for local strawberries to try again.

o
Jelly not jam

Oh, sorry, I see you said jelly not jam. But I bet you could follow the recipe I mentioned above (or any other for preserves) and just strain the juice out before letting it sit overnight to make jelly.

o

The NCHFP had jelly recipes too. That should've been the first place I looked. Thanks for the help!

Leslie

o

If you're asking if strawberry jelly needs lemon juice for safety, no. Strawberries tend to be lower in pectin and some strawberry recipes do call for lemon to increase the natural pectin level and improve the set.

Strawberries differ regionally and by season; it can be difficult to determine which recipe will work best with your particular growing conditions, but either way is just fine as far as risk is concerned.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here