Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing mini eggplants whole?

Posted by drhorticulture_ Z3 (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 17:10

We like them slit and stuffed with a spiced coconut-tomato paste, then pan-fried in olive oil. Do you think stuffing and freezing eggplants for cooking later could work, or should they be cooked and then frozen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing mini eggplants whole?

Freezing
Eggplant
Preparation Harvest before seeds become mature and when color is uniformly dark. Wash, peel and slice 1/3-inch thick. Prepare quickly, enough eggplant for one blanching at a time.

Water blanch 4 minutes in 1 gallon of boiling water containing 1/2 cup lemon juice. Cool, drain and package, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and freeze.

For Frying Pack the drained slices with freezer wrap between slices. Seal and freeze.

o

Well, I wanted to know how the texture of whole raw eggplant would be affected :)

o

You blanch to destroy enzymes that cause deterioration and flavor changes. Some veggies require blanching, and eggplant is one of them.
Of course they will be soft, no matter what you do when you freeze them. Freezing breaks down cell walls.

o

Well, blanching might be difficult because of the recipe I described. I suppose my best bet would be to cook and then freeze.

o

Yes, cook and then freeze them.

o

I just noticed some good looking recipes in "The Joy of Pickling for eggplants if you have an overabundance. I know it's not what you're looking for but might be a nice change of pace.
I'm always looking at eggplant recipes but never seem to have enough. We use it as fast as it comes off the plant as it's the only thing besides peppers that keeps on producing through the heat of the summer. I'm hoping since I planted okra this year that I can convince my husband that it's not gross and slimey. Otherwise, we'll be eating lots of okra pickles, which is fine by me too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here