Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drhorticulture_

Freezing mini eggplants whole?

DrHorticulture_
13 years ago

We like them slit and stuffed with a spiced coconut-tomato paste, then pan-fried in olive oil. Do you think stuffing and freezing eggplants for cooking later could work, or should they be cooked and then frozen?

Comments (6)

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

Freezing
    Eggplant
    Preparation  Harvest before seeds become mature and when color is uniformly dark. Wash, peel and slice 1/3-inch thick. Prepare quickly, enough eggplant for one blanching at a time.

Water blanch 4 minutes in 1 gallon of boiling water containing 1/2 cup lemon juice. Cool, drain and package, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and freeze.

For Frying  Pack the drained slices with freezer wrap between slices. Seal and freeze.

• DrHorticulture_
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I wanted to know how the texture of whole raw eggplant would be affected :)

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

You blanch to destroy enzymes that cause deterioration and flavor changes. Some veggies require blanching, and eggplant is one of them.
    Of course they will be soft, no matter what you do when you freeze them. Freezing breaks down cell walls.

• DrHorticulture_
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, blanching might be difficult because of the recipe I described. I suppose my best bet would be to cook and then freeze.

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

Yes, cook and then freeze them.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

I just noticed some good looking recipes in "The Joy of Pickling for eggplants if you have an overabundance. I know it's not what you're looking for but might be a nice change of pace.
    I'm always looking at eggplant recipes but never seem to have enough. We use it as fast as it comes off the plant as it's the only thing besides peppers that keeps on producing through the heat of the summer. I'm hoping since I planted okra this year that I can convince my husband that it's not gross and slimey. Otherwise, we'll be eating lots of okra pickles, which is fine by me too.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations