Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jude31

Making mixes froom your own dried herbs.

jude31
12 years ago

Do any of you make mixes, such as herbes de Provence using your own dried herbs. If so, what are your favorite combinations? I grow most of the herbs you would use, no fennel, but that's about all and I haven't been using that many dried ones. I dry sage although I could use the fresh all year round, but, for instance, I've never used fresh sage in cornbread dressing. Most of my perennials winter over so I just clip some if I need them in winter.

If you make mixes, do you use equal parts? I was reading some material from P Allen Smith about herbs de Provence is what started all this. It was interesting enough to make me want to make some too. He mentioned a number of combinations he likes but nothing about the proportions. Obviously, he's not aware I need guidance.LOL

jude

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

HanArt's mix from over on the Herbs forum is a very popular one. Wife mixed just the herb blend up for use on boiled potatoes, added to meats, and in salad dressings in addition to the cheese recipe.

BOURSIN CHEESE

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    1/2 teaspoon garlic, mashed & finely minced
    1 teaspoon oregano, chopped (I prefer dried oregano, so I use less)
    2 teaspoons chives, chopped
    2 tablespoons basil, chopped
    1-2 teaspoons thyme, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon dill
    2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
    coarse salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

BEAT cheese and butter together. Add garlic, mixing well. Add finely chopped herbs, salt and pepper.

CHILL slightly and form into ball or log. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate or freeze. Serve with crackers.

You'll find many other blend recipes on that forum too.

Dave

• jude31
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the Boursin Cheese spread recipe. I did post on the Herbs Forum hoping to get recipes/proportions for using DRIED herbs to make mixes.. Eventually I did get one but thought you might appreciate what started me on this quest.

This what P Allen Smith had to say about herbes de Provence:

"Herbes de Provence is an essential ingredient in my summer kitchen. The flavor is a natural fit with so many of the dishes of the season. Mixed with olive oil, Herbes de Provence is perfect for roasted chicken or potatoes. I love to sprinkle it over homegrown tomatoes with salt, pepper and a little feta cheese.

This herb blend originates in Provence, France, down in the southwest near Italy. It is an assortment of herbs that reflect the traditional, native herbs commonly used by cooks from this region. Common herbs are thyme, fennel, sage, summer savory, rosemary, coriander, basil, anise, mint and tarragon. Lavender is sometimes added to the blend, especially here in the U.S.

Traditional cooks in the region don't have a "mix". Instead they use the herbs as needed to suit their tastes. Spice wholesalers are responsible for the dried blends commonly found in stores.

You can easily prepare Herbes de Provence with the herbs growing in your garden. During the summer months use them fresh as a bouquet garni for soup or stew. The traditional French bouquet garni is a small "bundle" of herbs tied together with cotton string or put into a sachet or tea strainer and added to the recipe. This method makes the removal of the herbs much easier before serving the dish. It is usually comprised of parsley, thyme and a bay leaf but you won't stray from tradition if you just use what you prefer. Herbes de Provence are also delicious chopped and sprinkled over any number of fresh veggies.

Be sure to prepare a dried blend at the end of the growing season to use during fall and winter.

My Herbes de Provence recipe includes sweet marjoram, thyme, sweet basil, rosemary and lavender. In addition to tasting great, these herbs are some of the easiest to grow."

I hope this information is helpful to those who have not used herbes de Provence.

Also, I had visions of using the dried mixes for gifts as well as for my own use.

jude

• leahikesgardenspdx
    12 years ago

I saw a recipe for Herbes de Provence on the Chickens in the Road blog by Suzanne McMinn. She has a "recipe" with the ingredients and amounts posted. Thanks to Ruthie for bringing that website to our/my attention. Lea

• jude31
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lea, I found it!

jude