Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pickled Asparagus in 24oz jars

Posted by grlsixx NorCal 9 (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 17:42

Hi, I am making pickled asparagus and would like to use my pint and a half jars- is processing time still 10 minutes?
Thanks for your help!
Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pickled Asparagus in 24oz jars

ok- after trolling the board a little, I am wondering if my recipe is safe...

in each jar:
1 garlic clove
2t pickling salt
1t dill
1 dried hot pepper

cover with boiling brine (50/50 water & white vinegar).
process 10 mins.

o

It is close enough to the approved NCHFP recipe to be safe since it calls for the same 1:1 vinegar ratio and the same amount of garlic. It just sounds awfully salty to me but that is a taste issue not a safety issue.

AFAIK the pint processing time has never been tested for the pint and half jars. Normally they are processed at quart times but there is no quart time given for pickled asparagus.

In this particular case since it is pickling, it is "probably" sufficient but it is guesswork. Personally, I'd add 5 mins and make it 15 min. total but I can't tell you what that will do to the finished texture.

It is your choice, your risk to decide on.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave! Thinking I might stick with 12 oz jars (and cut back on the salt). Too bad, I would love to have trimmed the asparagus less. Not willing to take a risk, since I would like to give these out as gifts, and definitely not willing to have mushy asparagus. Appreciate your quick response... getting the canner ready now.

o

You can still pickle the ends for your own use. Great for salads or just munching. And....It gives you a jar or two to open for "taste testing" without sacrificing one of your gifts.

Deanna

o

thanks for the great idea Deanna! I usually end up freezing the ends for soup or stir fry... pickling sounds yummier!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here