Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Rose Petal Jam - Low Sugar

nancyofnc
10 years ago

I have this gorgeous reddish purple heirloom thornless rose 'Reine des violettes" abundantly producing flowers "organically". The fragrance is incredible but sadly the petals fall off after picking so no bouquets for me just bowls with them floating for several days for the fragrance to fill the room. However, I thought Rose Petal Jam or Jelly might be heavenly in the winter when there are no fragrances other than wood smoke and frozen/defrosting everything. I made Wild Violet Jelly which was pretty but did not have a taste and thought the same recipe would work but maybe with low sugar pectin so as not to overpower the flower flavor like I suspect the wild violets were by the sugar. Looking at web pages for ideas/recipes I got waaaay confused and not satisfied with the ones posted. I did not like the idea of leaving them in a jar with water for 3-4 weeks in the sun (bacteria grows in "sun tea" so roses would be a doubled risk, at least) to get an infusion and I did not like the idea of boiling the heck out of them "until they are translucent", translated means that all the essence went into the air, in my opinion. So, you adventuresome jammers out there - do you have a TNT recipe for making rose petal jelly? The season is so short on these heirlooms (though they are supposedly repeat bloomers they don't here in the humid south), I'd hate to let it pass me by without preserving them.
Nancy

Comments (5)

• another_buffalo
    10 years ago

Your roses sound beautiful, nancedar - good enough to eat. I noticed today that the wild multiflora roses are blooming everywhere. I was planning to make jelly using those this summer and was looking for recipes to use. I had settled on one using the link below that also calls for using lemon juice.

This is what the recipe says for making the juice: "Boil water and steep petals/herb leaves overnight, one cup boiling water per one cup petals/leaves. The next day, strain the infusion through cheesecloth to get a clear liquid." Were you going to add lemon juice to your rose petal jelly?

Here is a link that might be useful: petal jelly recipe

• shambo
    10 years ago

Nancy, I'm usually just a lurker here since I don't do any canning, but I couldn't pass this post up. My mother & grandmother regularly made rose petal jam. It was a skill my grandmother brought with her from Greece. I loved it's perfumy taste.

No matter where she lived, my mother always had one special rose in the garden with deep, dark petals. She'd gather them up and make the jam. She'd always add some rose water to it too.

However, I've never tried making the jam myself. Just recently I ordered some from Amazon that was very similar to what my mom made.

The reason I responded to your post is because I have my mother's typed recipe. Bear in mind, that's it's a very old recipe -- probably dating back to the 60s. Perhaps it would give you an idea of what to look for in a more current version.

The end result was a delicious sweet jam for breakfast toast. The addition of rose water gave it a definite rose flavoring. I've eaten other commercial rose jams that were sickeningly sweet but with no pronounced rose flavor. I think that's what happens if the rose water is omitted.

ROSE JAM
    Andonia Zografos

Select fresh petals of bright red roses. Cut away any white spots. With a scissors cut petals in small strips. Wash and drain. Measure 2 cups roses, packed down fully in cup. Add 1 1/2 cups water and boil together for about 10 mins. Must have at least 1 1/2 cups roses. A little bit more or less won't make any difference.

Add 3 cups sugar and 1/2 lemon juice to roses. Bring to boil. At once stir in 1/2 bottle of Certo. Bring to rolling boil and boil for 1 min. Remove from fire and put in 1 tsp. of rose water. Skim off foam and put in jars.

• nancyofnc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you - that is what I was looking for. Lemon juice is a must for any non-fruit, it also changes the color of an infusion which is like kitchen chemistry magic to me. I'm going to go pick right now and start snipping those petals.

Nancy

• tim45z10
    10 years ago

Please clarify how much lemon juice please. Thank You.
    Tim

• nancyofnc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd think it is supposed to say juice of 1/2 a lemon. That is anywhere from 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup. I'm going for the 1/4 cup because back then all you could get were very large lemons, as are those that grow in Greece.

The 1/2 bottle of Certo is one packet by today's packaging (3 ounces) where the bottles were 6 ounces.

The rose water gives the aroma and flavor, the petals give you the color.

I did find that grasping the rose around the base with the petal ends in your hand, you can cut off the petals without the white base (which is bitter) and then cut the rose stub and stem from the bush for compost. Be sure to remove the stamens too. And, silly me, remember to wash the petals AFTER you cut them up since they will stick to you like crazy when damp making them near nigh impossible to cut up. I really don't think it is necessary to cut the petals into less than 1/2" wide pieces - actually I just tore them up - it's the bruising to release the oils that cutting or tearing does for releasing it into the water.

By the way, don't make jam - the petals are ugly after boiling. Strain and use the infusion for your jelly.

I put mine in sterile 4 ounce jars and did BWB for 5 minutes.

Nancy