Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning asparagus in quart jars?

Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 18:47

I have a recipe for pickled asparagus that calls for pint jars (the recipe is for 3 pints). Could I use quart jars instead if I kept the proportions of the brine solution the same? Or will something horrible happen!?!??!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning asparagus in quart jars?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Wed, May 14, 14 at 20:21

The guideline is you can always use smaller jars but you can't use bigger jars than what has been tested and approved for the recipe.

The density is changed, the processing time is changed and becomes guesswork and the shelf storage time can be changed depending on the pH required in the recipe (pH rises over time so the bigger the jar the shorter the shelf life IF the pH is borderline or not increased).

In this particular case the flavor could also be affected because all the water in asparagus will dilute the vinegar more than in pints.

FAIK there is no approved recipe for using quarts with pickled asparagus. But it is your choice to follow the guidelines or not.

Dave

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 15, 14 at 6:41

Thanks Dave!

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 19, 14 at 20:52

Thanks Dave!

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, May 19, 14 at 21:04

Welcome. :)

o

I located this information from 2008 and was wondering if the guidelines have changed since then for pickling asparagus in quarts. http://ext100.wsu.edu/benton-franklin/wp-content/uploads/sites/22/2013/12/Asparagus-brochure.pdf If so is there a recent discussion that anyone knows of to confirm the new guideline? Thank you

o

Interesting. I'd contact them to make sure - maybe they did testing on quarts themselves.

But since the processing time is the same, why not try it in those pint and a half jars - just the right height and split the difference in volume.

Just be sure to follow one of the approved recipes (I don't know what recipe OP is using - or maybe has already used!).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here