Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
got_bullmastiff

I was given a Mirro canner but no manual

got_bullmastiff
11 years ago

Hello all!

I was given a used Mirro 22qt canner (Model 92022) and it doesn't have a manual with it. I have the canner, lid, gaskets and weighted gauge.

I need to order the racks from somewhere.. I'm thinking any rack with the correct dimensions would work (right?)

But my bigger question has to do with the gauge. I just took some pics.. the gauge is a little cruddy (it was in an attic for a while, I guess) but I think I have it figured out.

These are all the parts.

I'm thinking that using just the piece all the way on the left would be for 5 lbs of pressure (it has a little 5P on it)

It came to me all together like this

Which would be 15lbs, right? since each piece has 5P on it?

To do 10lbs is where I get confused.. I *think* this is how you put it together...

because it leaves the holes open.. does this look right?

Thanks in advance for any help... (and any suggestions you have on what I need to look out for on a gifted canner.. it looks very solid though)

:)

Comments (13)

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you SO MUCH.. I searched high and low for that manual. Your Google-Fu is strong.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

May the Google-Fu be with you. :)

Dave

• teauteau
    11 years ago

Check out this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirro Manual

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

Just one note.

Must. Use. Potholder.
    When adding the weight to the canner after the 10 minutes venting steam. Don't even try it without!

Canner is great, stupid design for the weight! It's what I use too, but whoever thought it was a good idea to have you try to screw the weight on with steam blasting out of the vent was an idiot!

The disc style is brilliant in comparison!
    :)

Deanna

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More on the saga of this canner.

The gasket leaked.. it would come to pressure but it was kinda stiff.. so I soaked it in hot water.. still leaked. Oiled it.. still leaked.. not a lot but enough. The canner did come to pressure but I didn't like that there was a puddle of water on the stove and it dripped the whole time.

So I ordered a new gasket. And foolishly threw out the old one.

I put the new gasket on tonight and it's a smidge too small.. and it leaked .. A LOT.. so I stretched it and tried again...

still leaks.. I mean steam is POURING out the sides and it's not coming to pressure at all.

I flipped it over.. no change.

I reversed the lid.. no change.

After about 5 minutes of it still not sealing and water puddles everywhere on the stove top and steam that would peel wallpaper, I took the lid off and looked at the gasket.

This is what it's doing

any thoughts? this is my first pressure canner and I'm ready to just buy a new one.. but I've already spent money on parts for THIS one.

Sigh

thank you for all your help

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

That doesn't look like the right gasket to me - Mirro makes several different ones. I checked the one in my same model PC and it is much wider and thicker.

Gasket # is 98510 is that the one you bought?

I'll try to get a pic of mine up for you later.

Dave

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This one looks exactly like the one I threw out.. same thickness... same size.. I matched them up before I tossed the old one. but here is a link to the one I purchased. It says "Replaces Mirro 98510 and Maitres 59859/59759"

Here is a link that might be useful: Gasket link

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe I've had the wrong one all along.. ~sigh~ my "free" canner is getting expensive!

Perhaps I should have bought from these people?

Thanks so much for checking

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking and Canning

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/mirrogaskets.htm is the best source for parts I've found.

I was looking at mine more closely and it does bow out (not in like in your pic) just a bit right in front of the lid lock.

Sorry I didn't get pics done. Company coming for the weekend so it has been a zoo here today.

Dave

PS: Goodmans where you got your new one is good about returns and exchanges.

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much.. I just ordered a gasket from them. Fingers crossed!

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    11 years ago

it works!!! It works!!! thank you so much!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Hallelujah!! Glad to hear it.

Dave