Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fermenting pickles

Posted by wiringman ZONE 4 (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 11 at 18:59

My close friend and fellow retired guy's wife had a stroke last year thankfully she is doing very well.

they get fresh produce from a co-op each month. last this month she thought she ordered a few cucumbers and got 80 pounds.

thankfully they were not waxed. so we started 20 gallons of crock pickles.

10 gallons were as per the the recipe. my friend was just finishing the first two crocks when i got there.

instead of making the brine by it's self he was putting all the ingredients except the water in the bucket then putting enough water to mix them up then filling the buckets with cucumbers them filling them up with water. so we will see how those turn out.

the last 10 gallons were done properly.

4 weeks to crock pickles.

Dean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fermenting pickles

Any results to report?

o

IT TAKES 4 WEEK TO COMPLETE THE PROCESS AND mOMDAY WILL BE THREE WEEKS.

I HAVE NOT TAKEN A TASTE TEST YET.

ONE MORE WEEK

dEANM

o

I think you can pull and taste a pickle anywhere along the fermenting process. I remember eating half fermented pickles and liking them better than full fermented ones.

o

What is the correct recipe. You never give the good recipe and the bad recipe.

What temperature are they fermenting at.

o

Wiringman, if you are still out there..... how did these pickles turn out. I would like to try the same method.

Also, Wiringman, I read an old post of yours about trellising and you produced so many mellows & squash that your trellis support was struggling. You are Zone 4.... What is your secret to producing such a harvest?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here