Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else having difficultly finding jars?

Posted by alabamanicole (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 19:00

A couple of years ago I was going to be between houses, so I gave all my jars away to someone who needed them more than I needed to store them and move them a few times. Shopping for new jars, I have been able to find 1/2 pint Kerr jars at Big Lots, but nothing anywhere else at all. Wal-Mart has only a made in China brand "Better Homes and Gardens" and no wide mouth at all. No thanks, especially not in a pressure cooker.

This weekend I plan to make a trip to the next city which has more rural-oriented customers in the hope that the Big Lots there has other sizes, or perhaps Fred's.

I am hoping this is just a regional problem, but if anyone else is having trouble finding new jars I'd like to know. Prices online for jars are outrageous and most cases don't seem packed well for shipping -- but if there is going to be a shortage this year I'd rather order early than once canning season starts and they are sold out.

(And nope, no used ones either on Craiglist, FreeCycle, etc., but that isn't unusual here.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else having difficultly finding jars?

I'd guess it is a regional problem then as my Walmarts both have Ball and Kerr as well as the BH&G jars, the grocery stores all have Ball or Kerr if you want to pay their prices, and Fred's and Dollar General have shelves full of Golden Harvest jars on sale right now plus Ball and Kerr. No jar shortages around here right now any way.

Dave

o

Walmart around here must not stock a lot of golden harvest as they always sell out fast I grab them any time I can

Don't forget your local hardware or farm stores they would be glad to order them in for you also last wee Hardware Hanks had ball pints for 7.99

o

My local Ace always has them, and is glad to order for free pickup at the store if they don't have the size you need. A bit pricey though. I haven't checked Tractor Supply yet - it may be a bit early. Big Lots around here stocks GH but not this early - maybe in June.

o

I was going to mention Ace (buy online and free shipping to local store) as well, ajsmama beat me to it!
No shortage here so may be regional.

Hope you find some in the next town.
Ebay...maybe?

Deanna

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 7, 11 at 1:18

Walmart here has them.
Ask your Walmart manger about stocking them.

o

Local hardware store? We have none of those left. :(

I'm glad to hear it isn't an overall shortage, and thanks for the input. I'll try a more rural Fred's as my next stop.

o

• Posted by bcskye 5 Brn.Co. IN (My Page) on
    Sat, May 7, 11 at 14:57

Our WalMarts, Dollar General and some grocery stores carry the canning jars, lids and rings. Also, they have them at Rural King stores. Usually Menards Home Improvement carries a good supply of them and have sales and rebates on them at certain times. Watch garage sales for them, but be there early or someone else will snap them up.

o
RE: Anyone else having difficulties finding jars?

• Posted by bcskye 5 Brn.Co. IN (My Page) on
    Sat, May 7, 11 at 14:59

Oh, if you have any Amish or Mennonite stores anywhere near, check them out.

o

Thanks all. The Fred's the next city over had Ball jars, shelves and shelves of them. I probably should have bought more but I should be good for this year since I'm not planning on doing any mega-canning this season.

o

So glad you found some jars! Very frustrating to need them and no be supplied.

We have plenty of them available in Southern California, the area north of Los Angeles, Pasadena, and Altadena. We have been buying them like they are going out of style! We get ours at Smart and Final, but the OSH and Ace hardwares have them, regular supermarkets, and even the mom and pop hardware store around the corner. I suppose retailers figured out we (the public) are canning more.

o

Wal-Mart had tons of them today in my area of TX.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here