Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhromeo

Unblanched sweet corn... still perfect?

dhromeo
11 years ago

I put up a TON of sweet corn last year, I cut it off the cob in my angel food cake pan, added some ice cubes to the cut corn, and without blanching it, froze it immediately.

I keep looking for sweet corn blanching times, as when I cook it for fresh eating, I cook it for no longer than 3 minutes, I like my sweet corn to stay sweet (personal preference). I keep reading blanch times of anywhere from 3 minutes to 6 minutes, even though blanching is supposed to be a form of undercooking, as I understand it.

The sweet corn that I am thawing and eating from the fridge is just like when I put it in the freezer, there is no discoloration or excessive mushiness, and there is no odd flavors or lack of sweet corn flavor...

I did pack it with a dash of salt and a tablespoon of sugar during processing.. would that have anything to do with it? Blanching to me just seems like sucking the garden freshness out of your vegetables by boiling the flavor away, is there anyone that can set me straight and restore my faith in blanching?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area