Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unblanched sweet corn... still perfect?

Posted by Chris_CL 5b (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 19:14

I put up a TON of sweet corn last year, I cut it off the cob in my angel food cake pan, added some ice cubes to the cut corn, and without blanching it, froze it immediately.

I keep looking for sweet corn blanching times, as when I cook it for fresh eating, I cook it for no longer than 3 minutes, I like my sweet corn to stay sweet (personal preference). I keep reading blanch times of anywhere from 3 minutes to 6 minutes, even though blanching is supposed to be a form of undercooking, as I understand it.

The sweet corn that I am thawing and eating from the fridge is just like when I put it in the freezer, there is no discoloration or excessive mushiness, and there is no odd flavors or lack of sweet corn flavor...

I did pack it with a dash of salt and a tablespoon of sugar during processing.. would that have anything to do with it? Blanching to me just seems like sucking the garden freshness out of your vegetables by boiling the flavor away, is there anyone that can set me straight and restore my faith in blanching?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unblanched sweet corn... still perfect?

The reason to blanch is to retard or kill the enzymes that cause spoilage and deterioration.
Underblanching is worse because it activates them, and they are then not killed by proper blanching.

o

I know, I have read that over and over, and yet the ziploc bag of sweet corn that I just thawed and cooked with tonight was perfect, and it was packed on July 21st, 2011, without any blanching.. and its perfect corn.. I've also read that under blanching is worse because it activates the enzymes, yet I have no food deterioration.

What I'm worried about is, if I start blanching, will I lose some of the sweetness and the quality that I am now enjoying?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden

o

Your choice. If you are happy with the non-blanched result stick with it. As long as it gets cooked well before eating any bacteria will be taken care off.

But unblanched will not store as long as blanched will so you'll need to plan to eat is up faster.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here