Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mustards

Posted by rocketjeremy PA6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 19:19

Nothing in my garden is quite ready and I'm getting anxious to refill some of my poor empty jars that I lovingly emptied over the winter. I'm looking at making some mustards in anticipation of the perfectly grilled hotdog.

I think I will be trying the Oktoberfest Beer Mustard from the Ball Complete Book (pg 274) anybody have any experience with this one?

Also, I find a recipe for honey mustard but the person didn't cite their source. Any thoughts on the recipe in terms of safety? I've seen some HORRIBLE websites out there!!

Homemade Honey Mustard
1/2 cup yellow mustard seeds
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 cup honey (we only used 1/2 as much)

Instructions:

Soak the mustard seeds in the vinegar and water, making sure the seeds are covered by the liquid. Leave soaking for 2 days.

Add the sugar and honey to the seeds mixture. Blend mixture until it reaches desired consistency, adding water if needed. Ladle into quarter pint jar and process in water bath for 15 minutes. The mustard will at first seem extremely spicy, but will mellow out after about a week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mustards

I've never made mustard at home, other than mixing a little powdered mustard with some vinegar to make a quick Chinese style mustard for eggrolls.

If you do try it, let us know how it turns out.

Sounds like fun.

o

The recipes seem tasty but it's just never something I made before. Haven't even made the simple eggroll type you describe. I'm sure I will definitely be trying to beer mustard and will do the honey mustard pending "approval" of the recipe.

If anybody has any mustard making experience chime in!!

o

Personally I'd be comfortable with the Honey Mustard recipe as long as you don't dilute it with any more water than that. If it needs further dilution I'd use vinegar instead. You need to keep the amount of vinegar undiluted as much as possible for long term safety.

I don't have my Complete Book handy to check so how does the processing in the Ball book compare with the processing in the Honey Mustard recipe?

JMO

Dave

o

Dave,

The Beer Mustard that comes from the Complete Book is 10 minute BWB processing time for the little quarter pint jars. The Honey Mustard recipe is 15 minutes. I agree with what you said about the dilution. I would be worried to dilute it with just plain water.

Thank you as always for the advice. I think I will get the ingredients together and put it together for the end of the week. Nothing but rain here. Not much I can do in the garden! Might have to fire up the dehydrator too!! I will let everybody know the results.

~Jeremy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here