Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sturgeonguy

High fiber cooked salsa recipes

sturgeonguy
10 years ago

My goal this year is to produce salsa. Ideally, I want to put as much soluble fiber as possible in it. To this end, IâÂÂm growing tomatillos, okra, zucchini, cucumbers, Roma, heirloom beefsteaks (2 varieties), cilantro, hot peppers (3 varieties, jalapeno, cayenne, and habanero), sweet pepper, kohlrabi, garlic, onion, parsley, spinach, corn, and pinto beans. On the sweet side, IâÂÂll have honeydew and cantaloupe, watermelon, and strawberry. I also have my own maple syrup if I really need a boost (or to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.)

Some things are going to be used pureed, like the pinto beans, others cooked, like the okra, and others as âÂÂchunksâÂÂ, like the tomatoes.

I donâÂÂt have any distinct recipes at this point, but I do believe thereâÂÂs a way to incorporate all of this produce into salsa to experiment with flavor and fiber content.

IâÂÂd like to ask if any of you have experience with any of the non-traditional ingredients in a cooked salsa, and if so, what your experience was. For example, I need to make sure I keep stringy veg outta the mix, so processing things like Okra to ensure it wonâÂÂt be. What would you de-seed? Keeping tomato skin outta the salsa is a must, but are there any other veg youâÂÂd peel? Have I mentioned anything that you think wouldnâÂÂt preserve well (e.g. the melons?)

IâÂÂm trying to create something healthy (e.g. diabetic friendly), and with an entirely new taste that hints at familiar salsa.

Cheers,
Russ

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Is this for fresh use, freezing, or canning? Very different guidelines and restrictions apply.

Dave

• sturgeonguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I said "cooked salsa" Dave. My goal is to come up with something I can sell, and fresh would have too short a sales window.

Cheers,
    Russ

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Sorry but all salsa is cooked to some degree. It is the method of preserving it that is in question.

If you plan to can it (process it as a vacuum sealed food in a jar) then you'll encounter several problems with pH (given your list of ingredients) as well as density issues that will make computing the required amount of added acid and the processing time difficult.

By including all those low acid vegetables it would have to be pressure canned rather than BWB canned and most states will not allow the sale of pressure canned foods to the public without an inspected and certified kitchen and license. So be sure to check local requirements before investing much time or money into it. They will likely require lab testing and certification.

Salsa is considered especially risky for food poisoning concerns because of all its low acid ingredients. For that reason making up your own recipe rather than using already tested and approved ones is strongly discouraged.

The article linked below explains some of the issues in more detail.

Of course if you can develop a recipe for a frozen salsa then many of the safety concerns are voided.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Burning Issues - Canning your own salsa recipe

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Well, a salsa can be cooked without being canned. They are separate processes.

As far as the fiber content and suitability for diabetics, etc. salsa of any sort is inherently healthy. I'm not sure what's to be gained by trying to incorporate vegetables such as kohlrabi and okra.

Setting aside the canning issue and regulations pertaining to sale, I think you'll find there are significant issues in texture and palatability which will increase exponentially with each ingredient you try to incorporate.

Some of these foods are not inherently compatible with a salsa, at least in my experience. Even adding basics like corn and beans can present challenges as cooking can cause softening of texture and loss of flavor.

But it can be fun to experiment and as long as it's not sealed in a jar you can try any number of possibilities. (Though salsa with okra just sounds like vegetarian gumbo.)

If you arrive at a mixture that meets your criteria, then it will be time to look at local and state marketing regulations and start thinking about how to fulfill them.

Carol

• sturgeonguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the confusion. I've seen fresh salsa, as the type used on bruschetta, and that wasn't what I was going for. I had thought it would be pressure canned.

I agree the large list will be a challenge, I never expected to end up with them all in there...they're what I have to experiment with. I saw kohlrabi as something to add crunch, and I love the silkiness of okra, hence my thought of using it.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
    Russ

• canfan
    10 years ago

Maybe you could follow this canning recipe: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_03/tomato_okra_zucchini.html and add the dry "salsa" spices while you cook the required 15 min before eating to reach your desired outcome. I love salsa and okra.. but I think I'd rather eat them together in a gumbo than with tortilla chips.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus