Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many flowers on a lavender stem?

Posted by nancedar z7NC (My Page) on
Thu, May 26, 11 at 19:50

Several baking/canning sites say to strip the flowers from 12 lavender stems. OK, I bought culinary organic flowers on-line (sans stems), so just how many are there on a stem? By weight, by cup, tablespoon, what?

Several of my farmers market customers have asked if I would make Lavender Jelly, and, til now, have said, "No.". But the Atlantic Spice Company offered the flowers very inexpensively when I ordered a ton of other spices in bulk. Not being a fan of lavender in any form (wrong smeller, I guess), I have no idea how to determine what that jelly should taste like, but I have a dear friend who is crazy about lavender who has offered to be the taste tester. Still, how many is there per stem - overload is really possible, I think. Help, please.

I would suppose that a neutral apple jelly would be the best vehicle, but, suggestions are always welcomed from my esteemed fellow jelly/jam preparers.

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many flowers on a lavender stem?

From a Google search on it I got 8-12 as the average and many pictures of a stem in bloom and lots of videos about how to use it. Good old Google!

Found several references about "to taste" which doesn't help I know but LOTS of info on avoiding using too much as it "makes it taste like perfume" and repeated references to "just a hint" of flavor as the goal.

Sounds like your taste tester has work cut out for her. :)

Dave

PS: also ran across this Lavender Jelly recipe which specifies amount of flowers. Might be a good starting point.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make lavender jelly

o
RE: How many flowers on a lavender stem?

As far as recipes go, try the peach lavender jam in Ashley English's book, "Canning and Preserving". I made three batches of it last summer and everyone loves it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here