Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pheasantback mushrooms

Posted by lilycrazy Zone 5- Iowa (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 20:28

Just hit the jackpot with these delights today while hunting for morels. Anyone have any recipes or fave wa of preparation for these guys ? We sauteed some in olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes- delicious. Have a few trays on the dehydrator too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pheasantback mushrooms

No really good experiences with this particular shroom since it is so thick and rubbery. But from what I have read about them it seems that slicing very thin and dehydrating them is the most recommended preservation methods.

As to preparation for fresh eating I'd think any of the methods used with morels should also work IF the texture doesn't bother you. Perhaps if they are diced or in paper thin slices they are more palatable?

Dave

o
RE: pheasantback mushrooms

Dave, we had both good and not so good experiences in the last 2 days. Yesterday we got quite a haul and then were all very young and tender. Sauteed in olive oil with garlic and they were delicious. Today however we found a couple pounds that were a few days past theyre prime- very tough and not edible really. Big clue is the size of the pores on the underside. The tender mushrooms had very very small pores and the tough guys today were more sponge-like. Lesson learned I guess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here