Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning Potatoes

Posted by westmontco 6 Se PA (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 20:39

I posted a question on potato storage and got some response. Thanks!) The problem is that we'll probably never have optimal potato storage (cool and dry) due to the heater being in the basement and it being an old house with a somewhat damp basement.

So, just in case, we are planning on canning some of this coming year's potatoes.

I tried searching GW and couldn't find anything which helps tell me which ones are better for canning. Here's what's planted. Anyone know which are the better ones for canning?

Pontiac (red)
Norland (red)
Keuka Gold
Yukon Gold
Eva (white)
Kennebec (white)
Generic all-purpose white from the local market which seems to do really well here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning Potatoes

Oh, and I did see references in several threads to using Pickle Crisp (Calcium Chloride) to help keep them from getting too soft. I'm pretty sure that's easy to locate here.

o

I assume you know that all the varieties may be canned. It is just that some varieties hold up better to the processing. The white varieties are the most commonly canned varieties. Reds next although they do tend to get softer than whites.

The golds can ok IMO but some don't care for the resulting quality. Alot of it all depends on how you plant to use them later. ie: any of them can easily be turned into mashed potatoes but some varieties (reds & golds) would make mushy potato salad.

And yes, Pickle Crisp does make a difference. The instructions on the container call for 1/4 tsp. per quart, 1/8 tsp. per pint. I use less, no more than 1/8 tsp. per quart.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning Potatoes

o

Yes, I know all varietes can be canned, but I guess we'd be looking to use for potato salad or soups/stews or to be fried for home fries. So ones that will keep their shape pretty well when canned.

Thanks for letting me know the gold get pretty soft.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here