Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good book on pickling?

Posted by ikea_gw (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 20:45

I really want to start pickling vegetables this year. I have cucumbers, beets, tomatoes, and many other vegetables growing in my garden right now. Since I am new to this, I'd like to get a book now so I can read it before the harvests start. Do you have a favorite book on pickling? Something that contains old fashioned but also newer and more international selection of recipes? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good book on pickling?

"Canning for a New Generation" has some pickling recipes that are pretty bomb. She has a recipe for Persian Tarragon Pickles which is a recipe from Iraq and it's super yummy....she has hot carrots recipes, kimchi, beets, asparagus, jalapenos, radishes, baby asparagus, turnips, etc.

There's also "The Joy of Pickling", which I haven't bought because I'm not that interested in pickling and Canning for a New Generation has enough pickling recipes to serve my curiosity....

o

Another vote for Joy of Pickling. Lots of variety included and no concerns over any safety issues that you often find in other books.

Dave

o

I really like Canning for a New Generation too.

I've had some problems with the directions of Joy of Pickling recipes where the quantities were way off--like somehow pints and quarts were confused. I love her giardiniera recipe, though.

Another one for fresh pickles is Quick Pickles. I made the pickled turnips in gin recipe from that. Holy cats, was it good.

o

Better late than never...I recently got Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. It has TONS of recipes! It boasts over 400 recipes. They're awesome!

o

This link was posted on the forum, and I saved it. It's a 64 page document on pickling.

o
oops, forgot to give you link

http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/B2267.PDF

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here