Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moo_

Need help with Hot Pepper Sauce (peppers in vinegar)

moo_
15 years ago

My dad loves pepper sauce, as he calls it. I suppose it's actually pickled peppers? Those of you here in the Deep South will know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, it's hot peppers in vinegar (like the Tabasco Peppers) and he pours it all over peas and greens. The peppers are mostly discarded once the vinegar is gone.

I've planted a bunch of peppers and I need a real Southern recipe.

Can I use bottles with a plastic top? Or must they all go through a hot water bath?

And, can anyone recommend a really great brand of pre pickled peppers? I'd like some in a bigger bottle than the Tabasco ones.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• kayskats
    15 years ago

My Dad used to make this using only the peppers and vinegar. He used long slender green (and an occasional red) cayenne peppers which he grew. He packed the peppers in bottles with a small neck (such as Worcestershire or Tabasco) and heated the vinegar before pouring it over the peppers. He called it Hot Sauce and sprinkled it over turnip greens, black eyed peas and almost anything else which needed a kick. If I were making it today I'd put it in the fridge when it cools.

Pepper Pique
    Source: Ziedrich The Joy of Pickling

12 medium long or conical chili peppers such as cayenne, de arbol or jalapeno
    4 cloves garlic
    12 black peppercorns
    1/2 tsp pickling salt
    1 cup cider vinegar

Put the peppers, garlic cloves, peppercorns and salt into a bottle with a capacity of about 12 ounces. (A rum bottle is most authentic, but a small wine vinegar bottle will do, particularly if you've kept the plastic inner and outer caps.) Using a funnel, pour enough vinegar into the bottle to cover well. Put the caps on and shake to dissolve the salt.
    Let the bottle sit 2 to 3 days undisturbed so the vinegar can absorb the other flavors. The longer it sits the hotter it gets. Store the bottle in the refrigerator or in a cool place. Until the pepper flavor gets weak, you can top off the bottle with fresh vinegar as needed.

• candiecane
    15 years ago

Well my real "Louisiana Southern" pepper sauce is very
    very easy. All I did was take a glass bottle (this can be
    done in a plastic bottle like ketchup) and you can use one
    with a plastic top as well. What you do is take your
    peppers and shove them down in the jar unitl you get it at
    least half full or however many you want in there to make
    it HOT or not. Then you bring white vinegar to a boil add
    a little salt (optional) and then pour into bottle with
    peppers. I have also made some tasty pepper sauce from
    apple cider vinegar as well. If you want a little extra
    flavor you can add a clove a garlic to the jar with the
    peppers this will give a little hint of garlic flavor
    without overpowering the flavor of the peppers. I have
    other things I have done with peppers and pepper sauce if
    you would be interseted. I still have people asking for
    my sauce. The amazing part is last year was my first
    garden EVER, I didn't grow up gardening and neither did
    my parents. Pretty amazing to me being that my first
    garden even yeilded over 250 jars of stuff and I also
    fought blight on my half row of squash and zucchini! Sorry
    I tend to ramble sometimes! Hope this has helped!

• smittybrucems_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Save all Jack Daniels bottles with lables on. Use green and red cayenne peppers to fill the bottles. pour hot salted white vinagar to fill the bottles. Let sit for couple weeks . I learned this from old southern ladies that traded at my dads produce market.This is the best pepper sauce ever. Give it a try, I'm sure you will be more than saticfied. Good luck!!!

• fisher496_bellsouth_net
    12 years ago

Need help making pepper sauce..Thanks

• Materex
    12 years ago

To make really intense hot vinegar I use the pressure cooker. I cut up the peppers some, using seeds and membranes, and vinegar, bring it to a "rock" for a couple of minutes, let it cool until the pressure drops, and then I strain it. Makes an intensely hot vinegar without using that many peppers, quick and easy. Just yesterday I canned some hot pepper green cherry tomatoes pickles, won't know how they turned out until they set for a couple of weeks.
    (I live in Florida, that's why I have green tomatoes in the last week of December!)

• vodkapepper
    9 years ago

Thanks for the great idea to store pepper sauce! I bought a cool sleek bottle of Ciroc and I am going to recycle the bottle and gift some of my smoking hot pepper sauce in it! It's such a creative spin on the concept!

Thanks for the inspiration!