Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kastle_gw

Another 'is this safe to can' question re: Rhubarb syrup

kastle
11 years ago

I have a small freezer &, when possible, prefer to make things shelf-stable. Obviously I would hot pack & not cool it down if I was going to can it. My guess is that b/c the rhubarb is acidic & is strained out it would be OK (so, acidity is OK & density is OK) but wanted to double check:

4 large / 500 g / 1 pound rhubarb stalks, chopped

2 cups / 400 g granulated sugar

2 cups / 240 ml water

2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, or to taste

scant 2 teaspoons rosewater, or to taste

rose petals, optional

Combine the rhubarb and sugar in a medium, thick-bottomed saucepan. Stir well, and leave for 45 minutes or so (unheated), stirring now and then.

Add the water and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Continue to simmer for another 15-20 minutes, until the rhubarb starts to break down. Carefully strain into a bowl through a of cheesecloth-lined strainer. Transfer to a clean saucepan, stir in the lime juice, and bring to a simmer. Let simmer over medium heat for another 15 minutes or until the syrup has reduced quite a bit and thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.

Stir in rosewater & refrigerate

source: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/rhubarb-rosewater-syrup-recipe.html

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Sure if you pour hot into jars and BWB process for 10 mins. It's low acid and has lime juice added too.

Dave

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

I agree, it's pretty much the same process as canning rhubarb with the chunks in it. You've strained them out and made it less dense, added acid with the lime juice so no problem!

What do you use it on? Just curious!

Deanna

• kastle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I used it in cava for mothers day mimosas & also plan on using it drizzles into Greek yogurt, gin & tonics, over strawberries for pancake topping, sweetening iced tea...lots of stuff that don't use a ton at a time so I want to can it in 4oz jars. I did a test batch & it's good! Will can future batches

Thanks guys! Thought it was ok (I've learned so much here!) but wanted to check my instincts

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

Ball has directions for canning rhubarb and so does So Easy to Preserve from the University of Georgia.
    It should not have water added to it.
    Then, there is also a syrup recipe for canning :
    I use this all the time with great results.
    Syrups made from blackberries, huckleberries, raspberries, boysenberries, loganberries, sour cherries, and Island Belle grapes as well as mixtures of berries are of good flavor, color, and consistency (thin like maple syrup, medium thick like corn syrup, or slightly jelled). Syrups can be made with or without pectin and lemon juice. Lemon juice may improve color. Use of pectin will vary consistency.

To Prepare Fruit Puree:
    Sort, stem, and wash ripe fruit or thaw frozen unsweetened fruit; crush fruit thoroughly; measure crushed fruit. Add 1 cup boiling water to each 4 cups crushed fruit and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer to soften--about 5 for soft fruits...about 10 minutes for firm fruits like cherries and grapes. Press through sieve.

SYRUPS MADE WITH PUREE
    4 cups puree
    4 cups sugar
    1/2 package or less powdered pectin (if desired)
    3 or 4 Tbsp lemon juice (if desired)

1. Mix puree, sugar, pectin and lemon juice.
    2. Bring to boil and stir for 2 minutes (boil till jelly thermometer reaches 218F).
    3. Remove from heat, skim off foam, and pour into 1/2 pint or 1 pint jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
    4. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
    5. Remove from canner and cool.
    6. Check lids, label, and store in cool, dry place.

To Prepare Fruit Juice:
    Sort, stem and wash ripe fruit or thaw frozen, unsweetened fruit; crush fruit thoroughly. Place crushed fruit in dampened jelly bag and drain. For clearest juice, do not press bag to extract juice. For firm fruits, heat is needed to start flow of juice. Add about 1/2 cup water to each 3 cups crushed fruit. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Place hot fruit in dampened jelly bag; drain.

SYRUPS MADE WITH JUICE
    4 cups juice
    4 cups sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice (if desired)
    1/2 package or less powdered pectin (if desired)

1. Mix juice, sugar, lemon juice and pectin.
    2. Bring to boil and boil 2 minutes.
    3. Remove from heat, skim off foam, and pour into 1/2 pint or 1 pint canning jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
    4. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
    Remove lid and let sit another 5 min. in the canner.
    5. Remove from canner and let cool.
    6. Check lids, labels, and store in cool, dry place.

• kastle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Linda, but what if I don't want the rhubarb pulp to be in the syrup? Like, at all,

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Rhubarb is highly acid (pH 3.10-3.40) so it doesn't present a risk. Further, your recipe as posted contains lime juice and sugar, which makes it even safer.

In other words, there are no concerns.

The recipe says to strain out the chunks once they begin to break down and that's what you do. If you want a really clear pretty syrup you may strain two or three times before canning, using a tightly-soven cheesecloth, muslin or coffee filters. The process is just the same as for making jelly.

Carol

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Hi kastle - I took a quick look at your recipe and it seemed to me that 4 'large' stalks would weigh a lot more than 500gr. So I weighed a single stalk I've just picked. It was 350gr. So if you make this it is probably advisable to do it by weight rather than number of stems since they are so variable.

• mikajade
    10 years ago

I wondered if anyone could tell me if the below recipes are safe to BWB preserve?
    Rhurbarb relish:

1.3kg rhubarb
    3 onions
    2 cups brown sugar
    1.5cups sultanas
    2 tsp ground ginger
    2 tsp mustard seeds
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    2 cups apple cider vinegar
    1.25cups white vinegar

Apple chili jelly
    1.5L apple juice (no added sugar)
    1.5kg white sugar
    1 pack pectin (powdered)
    3-4 chillis chopped

Rhubarb jam:
    1kg Rhubarb
    1kg caster sugar
    1 pack pectin
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    juice of 1 lemon

Many thanks :) for help with this! I'm waiting on my Ball blue book to arrive