Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

vegan recipes for non-vegans

nancyjane_gardener
10 years ago

DH wants to try "eat vegan til 6:00" plan.
It's sort of a diet, but smarter as you don't starve yourself to death or eat cabbage soup for days on end! Healthier, too!
Most days we have access to a microwave for lunch items, so we can do some make ahead meals, but breakfast is my problem!
I'm not a good breakfast person! I go to work at about 8, but don't get hungry til about 9:30. Right now I choke down a yogurt so my stomach won't be empty to take my vitamins/suppliments.
I can't sit down to a bowl of cereal or oatmeal and don't have access to a microwave. I'm good about cutting up fruit ahead of time, but that usually won't hold me until lunch.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Nancy

Comments (11)

• kastle
    10 years ago

What about cold fridge oatmeal? It has oats, fruit, chia seeds, yogurt & a bit of milk. You could replace the dairy with non-animal versions. If interested I can post recipe (from blog the yummy life or something like that; on phone now). I like it better than hot oatmeal in the summer. The woman stores them in mason jars to make them grab & go (fridge only obliviously)

Also, peanut butter on choice of carb (waffle, toast, bagel). You could also make muffins ahead of time.

Or maybe non traditional like homemade trail mix, homemade granola (eaten as snack mix w choice of morning beverage), or non traditional (like hummus sandwich)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

So vegan breakfasts and not necessarily using preserved food, right? Have you checked out the Vegetarian Recipe exchange here?

One of my favorites is Vegetable Quiche - can be eaten cold or warmed. If you want to get into using dehydrated and/or home canned foods then all sorts of recipes open up like home-made granola and fruit bars, fruit roll-ups, fruit pancakes (no syrup or butter required and can be individually frozen and eaten heated or just thawed). And there is always fruit/yogurt smoothies.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetarian Recipe Exchange

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for that link, Dave I didn't know that was there!

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

Because I go to school early, I often eat in the car. I also am not hungry for a couple of hours after I get up.

An easy "meal" is almonds, dried fruit, cheese sticks (you can find vegan versions). Plenty of protein and some healthy carbs in the fruit. I find the protein holds me over until lunch.
    As posted above, peanut butter is a good option too. Make peanut butter and banana sandwiches on a whole wheat english muffin.

Homemade muffins with fruit and nuts are easy to grab.
    Breakfast burritos (egg substitute, veggies, hashbrowns, vegan cheese) can be made ahead and wrapped individually in saran wrap.

Deanna

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, the vege recipe exchange was very slow (some posts were a year apart?) and so much of the stuff was so preachy!
    I made some great muffins, love pnut butter, maybe on whole grain waffles? I'm still in search for an egg substitute.. Most places just have the egg whites.
    That oughta keep me going while I search on. Nancy

• missemerald
    10 years ago

I make vegan yogurt in my crockpot quite often (I am not a vegan but I am allergic to dairy). Very easy and tastes great with fresh fruit or in a smoothie... I also use it to make "fruity oatmeal", which is basically a grab and go mixture of whole oats, yogurt, fresh fruit and soymilk which is very parfaitlike any time of day. One more thing-- I also have a yummy vegan choc. chip cookie recipe which my family has no idea is vegan, they just love it.

I have a friend that is married to a vegan, they use Ener-G egg replacer in baked goods, if that helps at all. They like it. I think they have used flax seed too; neither works for scrambled egg type things, but works in baking.

• mellyofthesouth
    10 years ago

How about some good salads? I would include some beans to make them more filling. I make a beet and been salad that I really like. (And I'm not the biggest beet fan. It is the only thing with beets the resident teenager will eat.) I've had it with tomato soup for lunch and it was filling.

• mellyofthesouth
    10 years ago

I have greatly simplified this recipe. I just boil the beets until done. I cook Christmas Limas in salted water until they are done. I combine them and make a dressing of garlic olive oil, meyer lemon olive oil and whatever vinegar I'm in the mood for (red wine or sherry most of the time). If I have the beet greens, I blanch them, squeeze out the water, chop them and add to the salad. This last time that's all I did. It might sometimes get some green onions or fresh herbs if I have some handy.

Recipes for Health
    Marinated Giant White Beans and Beets
    By MARTHA ROSE SHULMAN

Many Greeks love giant white lima beans. This recipe is an adaptation of a dish prepared by the Greek chef Jim Botsacos for a Clean Monday celebration to benefit the Gennadius Library in Athens. DonâÂÂt soak the beans or theyâÂÂll fall while they cook. Mr. Botsacos serves this with skordalia.

For the beans:

1 pound dried large lima beans

1 large white onion, cut in half

4 garlic cloves, crushed

1 bay leaf

Salt to taste

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/2 cup finely chopped celery

1/2 cup finely chopped yellow or red bell pepper

1/2 cup finely chopped red onion, soaked for five minutes in cold water, drained and rinsed (optional)

2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

For the beets:

8 small beets, greens cut away, scrubbed

1/3 cup red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar

Salt to taste

2 garlic cloves, cut in half

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1. Place the beans in a large pot. Cover by 2 inches with water, and bring to a gentle boil. Skim off any foam, and add the onion, garlic and bay leaf. Turn the heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add salt to taste, and simmer an additional 20 minutes until just tender. Remove from the heat. Remove and discard the onion, garlic cloves and the bay leaf. Allow the beans to cool in the liquid, then drain through a strainer set over a bowl. Gently toss the beans in a bowl with the lemon juice, olive oil, celery, peppers, onion and herbs. If desired, add 2 to 4 tablespoons of the bean broth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.

2. Cook the beets while the beans are cooking. Place in a saucepan, cover with water, add 1/4 cup of the vinegar and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until tender, 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of the beets. Remove from the heat, add the garlic to the pot and set aside to cool. Remove the beets from the pot (do not drain), slip off the skins and cut in wedges.

3. Combine the remaining vinegar, the sugar and 1/4 cup of the beet broth (discard the garlic). Toss with the beets. Arrange the beans on a plate or in a bowl and surround with the beets. If you wish, serve this dish with skordalia.

Yield: Serves six to eight.

Advance preparation: The beans and the beets can both be prepared up to three days before serving.

• mellyofthesouth
    10 years ago

We also find hummus with pita chips or crackers or pita bread, and taboulli salad to be a good lunch.

Have you thought about checking out recipe books from the library? Vegan books usually only have a few recipes that I like so I don't want to buy the whole book. We aren't vegan, we just don't eat a lot of meat.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These look great! Don't be insulted when I ask for easier recipes on the forum! Nancy

• grlsixx
    10 years ago

Here's a few ideas (copy & paste links)

Thick Chewy Granola Bars (just sub olive, coconut, or veg oil for butter)
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/02/thick-chewy-granola-bars/

Blueberry Coconut Pecan Breakfast Cookies
    http://www.kumquatblog.com/2012/03/blueberry-coconut-pecan-breakfast.html

The Original Morning Glory Muffins (use egg substitute)
    http://www.ezrapoundcake.com/archives/17351

Quick and Easy Peanut Butter Granola Bars
    http://www.savoringthethyme.com/2011/01/quick-and-easy-peanut-butter-granola-bars-via-how-sweet-it-is/

Individual Baked Oatmeal (Use egg substitute and vegan milk- rice, almond or soy)
    http://thekitcheniscalling.wordpress.com/2012/01/23/individual-baked-oatmeal/

Good Luck!
    Heather

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County