Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hopefully not too OT - old glass lid

Posted by Putyourshovel none (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 11 at 21:39

We have been finding a lot of artifacts digging up a new garden, and I am trying to figure out the age range. One item was a Ball No. 10 glass canning jar lid. Does anyone know the range of years that these were produced? Our development was built in the 50s, but the original farmhouse is behind us, so is substantially older.

We felt a canning lid was a good luck charm for a future vegetable garden. I hope it bodes well for lots of future preserved harvests! :)

See photo link, but it's a basic Ball glass lid. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to photo of jar lid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hopefully not too OT - old glass lid

That's a gorgeous lid and it definitely is good luck to find for a garden! I would try to make an ornament out of it and hang it up in your garden somewhere....maybe hanging from a little metal post.

o

That looks like a glass insert (goes with a metal band) for a Ball Perfect Mason jar. The jars were made until the early 1960's and at various times were sold with the glass insert-metal ring combo, porcelain lined zinc lids and the standard two part flat and ring we use today.

I'm no collector; I don't know where in that chronology the glass inserts with bands stopped being made, but I'd guess in the 1950's. I have some Presto jars with those inserts of the same vintage.

Here's a picture of a Ball jar with a Presto glass lid insert. Kind of cool, really.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Jar with Glass Insert and Metal Ring

o

Thanks, it's cool to see how it worked!

o

I should have mentioned it's actually a three-piece affair as there's a rubber seal or gasket under the glass somewhat like the present-day Weck jars from Germany.

Obviously you can't get a seal with a glass lid as it's not going to "suck down" the way a metal flat will.

I'm guessing the original arrangement was a substitute for the rubber gasket + glass cap + wire bail arrangement on the older jars. The metal ring could be a little speedier if you were doing lots of canning.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here