Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ghost Pepper oil

Posted by cspet (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 21:56

I have a ghost pepper plant and am interested in trying to infuse some oils. Can anybody provide any direction? I am concerned about the "heat" in the pepper and am not sure about the amount of pepper, oil type, or a safe procedure.
Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ghost Pepper oil

For fresh eating and refrigeration, right? They can't be canned.

We use cannola oil or olive oil and the basic instructions are 2 chili peppers to 1 cup of oil. We use our peppers dried but I don't know of any reason why you can't use fresh as long as you strain the pieces out (leaving them in increase the risks of botulism). The flavor just won't be as intense using fresh as with dried.

We saute the diced peppers in the oil over a very low heat - you don't want it to scorch or smoke - for about 20 mins. Pour it into a sterilized jar and let cool over night. Next day strain out all the solids, cap and keep in the fridge. Keeps for a couple of weeks. It may cloudy up a bit but clears up once it returns to room temperature.

How many peppers you use will all depend on how hot you want it to be. I'd start with 1 and see if you want it hotter next time.

There are lots of "infused oil" recipes on the web, some with additional spices etc. and as long as you recognize that they can't be safely canned for long term shelf storage, most any of them will work.

Dave

o
RE: Ghost Pepper oil

You could can a marinated pepper, though. This one is safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marinated pepper recipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here