Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yummykaz

How can I use Ball labels that came with jars

yummykaz
12 years ago

My handwriting is bad. How can I use the free labels that came with jars? I need a template for microsoft

Comments (15)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Depends on which labels they are as there are several different forms. But you printer should already have a template for most of them as they are all Avery standard shapes and sizes - 2 inch circles, 2" rectangles, etc.

That said many avoid using the labels anyway as they are difficult to remove the following year.

Dave

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

How about printing off what you want on the computer as far as words, then tape them on the labels with clear tape ? I know my printer would not take the free labels. I have to use plain labels in standard sizes.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I don't use labels on my jars for the reason digdirt mentions. However, lids are not reused, so if you use labels, use small enough ones and slap them on the lids. Myself, I use an indelible marker on the lids, and my handwriting is atrocious. LOL.

If you are doing county fair or gifts, sometimes fancy lables are necessary as part of the presentation. I have gummed standard sized address labels I use in my business and most word processing programs come with standard templates and they can be offloaded from Avery for free, I believe. You can mount them to your fancy label, I imagine.

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

try labelsbythesheet.com
    They have lots of free templates for all the labels they sell.
    I use their 2" and 2 1/2" labels on my canning lids, then create my own, but they sell many sizes and shapes and might have a template that matches the labels you have.

Deanna

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

I'm very happy with this place: http://www.onlinelabels.com/ And I've used versions of this program for 13-14 years now for making cards, labels, printing on envelopes etc. PrintMaster And I'm sure you can find much cheaper versions on Amazon.

• steve22802
    12 years ago

I've come up with a labeling method that works pretty good for me. I use regular paper and print off narrow columns of text that I can cut into small rectangles (about 1.5x0.75 inches) to attach to the jar lids. I spray a whole strip with spray adhesive and then wait about 2 minutes for it to turn tacky which makes it less messy. Then I take the strip over to a row of jars and stick the tip of the strip to a lid and then snip it free with scissors. Here's a picture:

• novicegardner
    9 years ago

I created my own in Excel. It took a bit of formatting but worked pretty well. Just make sure to size and orient your page correctly.

• pmtlee
    9 years ago

will you share a link or instructions for formatting the free canning labels that come with the jars?

• pmtlee
    8 years ago

Thanks for the download. Since that was a png how do you use it? Do you set tabs? I'd like to do these on my computer. I'm confused.

• Roberto Matthews
    8 years ago

Well, a ping is just another form of a picture. What type of computer do you have? Mac or Windows? I will upload a video on setting everything up.

• Roberto Matthews
    8 years ago

In short, I measured the page that comes with the jars, then I created the templates, then set up the printer to print to that type of page.

• pmtlee
    8 years ago

I have windows. Thanks for helping.

• Roberto Matthews
    8 years ago

Do you have any sort of photo editing software? You'll need it to type in text or paste on pictures.

• pqtex
    8 years ago

I buy Avery removable labels from the office supply store. More expensive than regular labels, but they easily peel off the jars and don't leave residue. Even if you forget to remove a label and the jar goes through the dishwasher, the label will peel off. I use an ink jet printer and the labels are water resistant, so they don't run. Avery has a lot of free online templates for designs and formats. The labels come in different sizes and shapes. If you are gifting your jars, you can make your jars look very professional. I like seeing the labels on the front of the jars, not just my lids marked.

Jill in Texas, formerly known as jill2761 (couldn't use my old sign-in name)