Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Candied, Pickled Jalapenos

Posted by Campruby Zn8Tx (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 22:42

I found this recipe online and tried it. These are SO delicious I just had to post the recipe. I am about to get started on our 3rd batch in as many months because we eat them so fast!

Here's the recipe:

3 pounds fresh, firm, jalapeno peppers, washed
2 cups cider vinegar
6 cups white granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
3 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Slice and seed peppers (wear gloves!). Bring the remaining ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add pepper slices and cook until the peppers take on a forest green color and appear "candied"; about 8-10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon and pack into sterilized jars (I use half-pints). Pour remaining syrup in pot over peppers in jars up to 1.4 inch from top of jar. Seal and process in hot water bath for 10 minutes (15 minutes for pints). These really should set for up to a week before being opened. A cracker, topped with cream cheese and a candied pepper slice, with a little syrup from the jar added on top of that, is DIVINE (I am totally addicted and have been known to make a meal off of them). Any remaining syrup I have is poured into jars and processed with the peppers.... to be used to glaze grilled meats or add to potato salad, etc. Delicious!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Candied, Pickled Jalapenos

Looks absolutely yummy...my kind of treat. Thanks for posting this recipe.

o

Popular and frequently discussed recipe here under the name 'Cowboy Candy'. Don't know if the recipes are identical in measurements but the basic ingredients are the same.

Dave

o

How do you slice the peppers - - lengthwise or crosswise?

Thanks

o

Crosswise.

o

Just exactly the type of recipe I was looking for. I happened upon a jar of candied jalapenos once in a small farmer's market and they were absolutely delicious. Excited to give this a shot this year! I'm digging the name "Cowboy Candy"!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here