Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chili Jam Help

Posted by ChiliGal Sydney Australia (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 22:46

Hello there,

I am making a chili jam for the first time, and while I have made other jams this is my first time making one without fruit.

I am using very hot chillies that I grew, namely Trinidad Scorpion. These chillies are among the hottest in the world, so I will be using bell pepper and probably only two scorpion pods in 1.5L of jam - each pod has 280x the heat of a jalapeno, so this is going to make it very very hot indeed.

I'll be using the following recipe:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chilli-jam-2692 (I will substitute more bell pepper) but I was wondering if adding lime juice for a twist would be a bad idea? Would this affect the setting process? I am using jam setting sugar.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chili Jam Help

What we call pepper jelly is essentially the same as chilli jam. The high levels of sugar do "gentle" the heat considerably, though it seems that caution with Scorpions would be very wise! Over 1,000,000 Scoville units? Now that's hot!

I'm not sure whether you had in mind using some lime juice in lieu of a portion of the cider vinegar or adding lime juice as additional liquid.

If it's additional liquid it will change the ratio and may soften the set. It really depends on the amount. With the pectin sugar you do have some leeway, but it's definitely an experiment.

Carol

o
RE: Chili Jam Help

Thanks so much Carol!

I didn't even think to substitute some of the vinegar, but I will do just that and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here