Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potato storage issues

Posted by westmontco 6 Se PA (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 23:01

Last year we experimented with a number of potatoes - blue, white, red and yellow. Blue were a novelty and didn't produce enough to justify doing again. The rest produced well, but storage is an issue: when we stored them in the basement they all sprouted over time. The basement apparently isn't cool enough, plus we stored them in trays and I wonder if the turning on the light to get canned goods sped up the sprouting process.

So, should we cube and can some of them to have on hand for potato salad & home fries? If so, which are better for that? And if I store the remaining ones in the coolest part of the basement again should they have blankets or something over them for the light, or just rub the eyes off periodically or what? I know they shouldn't be closed up tight. I hate tossing stuff I spent time growing!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potato storage issues

Canned potatoes turned out great for me use some pickle crisp in them to keep them nice and firm

You should defiantly have a blanket or something to keep the light off them to keep the potatoes from turning green
if you have a cold corner on the north wall you could insulate in to make a cold room

I had the same with blue ones very little produced

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here