Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilycrazy

Need rhubarb suggestions

lilycrazy
12 years ago

Just got the first batch of rhubarb picked today. Now......what to do with it ?? I have several recipes I've always made, but I'd like to try something new this yr. What are your favorite rhubarb recipes ? Baked good, sauces, canning recipes- anything :) Thanks !!

Comments (16)

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

The simplest possible is just to either bake or simmer it into a compote with some orange slices. Fresh ginger also goes well with rhubarb. Add sugar to taste afterwards and serve with plain yoghurt. Last week I added a sloosh of whisky which went down well.

Since both DH and I are attempting to go into our old age in reasonable shape I hardly ever bake these days. But I used to make rhubarb crumbles.

Jam and chutney are pretty easy too. But my methods would horrify you so I'll leave those to US posters.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I wash, cut into 1" pieces, then simmer it on the stove, with sugar to taste -in my case, about 1/4 cup of sugar for 2 cups of rhubarb, and just enough water so it doesn't scorch the pan. When it is soft, I add in about 1 Tablespoon of tapioca to thicken it a bit.

I sometimes add a can of crushed pineapple, sliced strawberries, or blueberries.

It is easy to freeze. Just wash, chop the stems into 1" pieces, put into ziplocs. I freeze in 2 cup portions.

You can also can it. Just cook as above, but no tapioca. Thene BWB for 15 minutes (pints or quarts). I tend to freeze since my rhubarb patch is still small and I wouldn't be able to pick enough for a full canner load in one picking.

Here is a web site that has a large round up of rhubarb canning recipes. Since it is a summary of bloggers, be sure to check the source of the recipes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhubarb Canning

• CA Kate z9
    12 years ago

Dutch Rhubarb Dessert

Butter for pan
    â¨3 cups Rhubarb, cut into 1" pieces
    â¨1 cup flour, divided â¨
    1/4 cup melted butter â¨
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    â¨1 cup sugar â¨
    2 beaten eggs

1. Butter 8 X 8 pan. ⨠Spread rhubarb in pan. â¨

2. Mix 1 cup of the sugar, 1/4 flour and the eggs thoroughly and pour â¨over rhubarb. â¨

3. Topping: Melt butter, add brown sugar, 3/4 cup flour and pat on top â¨of other mixture.
    (â¨I usually substitute Quick Oatmeal for the flour in the topping portion.)

4. Bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees F.

• lilycrazy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions ! I've been cooking with it for years, just wanting to inject a little variety into my repertoire.

• jhanido_charter_net
    12 years ago

I have one small plant.
    1. How many leaves can I pick without killing plant?
    2. Do I have to leave one leaf for seeding?

3. I want more plants. Does it reseed itself or do I harvest the seeds and plant in the spring to make a bigger garden?
    3. What about the roots? In the fall can I devide to get more plants? I know. I'm a novice gardener so I ask some silly questions. Thanks for any answers.
    dr. jackie

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

It takes a couple years for a rhubarb plant to establish itself. You need strong roots to have a strong plant. The rule of thumb I use is no picking the first year. The second year, pick once in spring, only pick half the stalks, remove any seed heads. The third year, I pick twice, each time leave the 2 or 3 center stalks. Again, remove seed heads. As of the 4th year, I usually get 3 pickings - one early May, one late May, and one late July - pick leaving the center 2 or 3 stalks.

When you pick, it is best to pull the stalks out of the ground - kind of twist and pull and the stalk will come out. And when you cut the leaves off, lie them on the ground under the plants to keep weeds from growing.

Twice a year - spring and fall - I add tons of composted manure to my rhubarb patch.

I've never attempted to grow rhubarb from seed. Not sure how long it would take until the plant is established enough for picking. Also not sure how long until the roots are large enough for dividing. My 4 year old plants are not big enough yet - and they were divisions from my moms plants. Maybe in a few more years they will be big enough.

• skeip
    12 years ago

I know there are tons of SWEET Rhubarb recipes out there, but does anyone know of any SAVOURY ones? Or is it just too astringent to be used w/o a ton of sugar? TYIA.

Steve

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

How about some rhubarb ketchup?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhubarb Ketchup

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Pixie Lou, I wintersowed Rhubarb 'Victoria' in '09, picked just a few stalks last year, and here is a picture of it taken yesterday.

From two plants, in their third year, I harvested enough to equal 2 quarts sliced. You can tell from the after picture, that I probably could have harvested even more!

It might depend on the variety though. My other rhubarb, is a red stemmed variety, (seen in the upper right of the second photo) and it's stalks are much thinner, and the leaves are a good bit smaller.

Lilycrazy, the only things I have made so far are Strawberry Rhubarb Jam, and a Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler. I'm hoping I can get a second harvest, because that cobbler was delicious!

Bonnie

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

Bonnie - obvoiusly your rhubarb is much happier than mine! I've never seen 2 year old plants look like that!

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Thanks, Pixie Lou! The gardener I got the start from for the other plant had a large garden with a whole row of ginormous rhubarb plants. I'm just excited to be able to grow it at all, since I was raised in the south where it doesn't get cold enough in the winter to grow it.

• robinkateb
    12 years ago

Steve, I have a savory rhubarb recipe that uses it in a lamb stew. If you don't like lamb it would be wonderful with beef or pork as well. I have one very large happy rhubarb plant and 2 that I split off from anther crown last year that are not happy. I may try to move at least one of them to a better location.

Robin

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamb Stew with mint and rhubarb

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Rhubarb chutney is another savoury recipe.Just Google for loads of versions.

I don't know how much fresh mackerel is available in Iowa but rhubarb goes very well with it as do gooseberries. The tart fruit cut the oiliness of the fish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mackerel with rhubarb

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

This recipe for Rhubarb Chutney is from a little country pub (The Crow and Gate) we go to on occasion. I weedled the recipe out of them.

RHUBARB CHUTNEY
    4 cups chopped rhubarb..or..plum, apple, rhubarb combination
    2 cups vinegar
    4 cups chopped onion
    1 Tbsp. salt
    1 Tsp. cloves
    1 Tsp. cinnamon
    1 Tsp. allspice
    To this add a few golden raisins

Combine all ingredients, bring to a boil in a large heavy pot. Cook slowly (low simmer) for 2 hours. Thicken with cornstarch if needed. Seal in sterile jars. I always process them in a hot water bath but the recipe didn't call for it. This will fill 6 or 7 jelly jars.

RHUBARB BAVARIAN

BASE
    1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
    1/4 Tsp. salt
    2 Tbsp. sugar
    1/2 cup butter softened

Combine dry ingredients until mixture resembles course bread crumbs. Spread evenly over the bottom of a lightly greased 9 inch square pan. Bake a 350 until lightly browned (10-12 minutes)

TOPPING
    4 cups of diced rhubarb
    1/4 cup water
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    dash of salt
    2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
    1/3 cup cold water
    1 1/4 cups of whipped, whipping cream
    red food coloring

Combine rhubarb, 1/4 cup water, sugar and salt. Simmer and stir occasionally until rhubarb is tender.
    Soak gelatin in the 1/3 cup cold water, add to hot rhubarb, stir until dissolved. Add red food coloring if desired.
    Chill until partially set, then, fold in the whipped cream, spread over the cooled base, chill until firm, about 3 hours. Serves 9.

Annette

• bs_endlesssimmer_com
    12 years ago

It's good just roasted down in a pan with vanilla and orange

Here is a link that might be useful: roasted rhubarb with vanilla and orage

• oukay
    12 years ago

Last night we tried the baked rhubarb from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Everyday Cookbook. The rhubarb is baked with a little honey, OJ and orange zest. It was simple and delicious. Serve warm with ice cream or cold by itself.