Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning Fruit Question

Posted by uaskigyrl Az (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 23:37

Hello!

I am brand new to this forumn and brand new to canning. I have three books that I've read front to back, several times: "Canning for a New Generation" by Liana Krissoff, "Well Preserved" by Eugenia Bone, and "Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving". So far I've canned a few items: Apple Sauce, strawberry jam, Mangoes in Honey Syrup, and Pineapple in Honey Syrup (to name a few). I like "Canning for a New Generation" because she uses all natural ingredients. I like "Ball Blue Book" because it's very basic and super informative.

My question is: I started canning because I want to control the amount of preservatives and sugars that go into my body. While reading Ball Blue Book, the recipes call for canning fruits in syrup. Is it possible to can fruits in water instead of syrup? Or, is the sugar necessary? Fruits have so much sugar in them as it is, I'd rather not add unneccessary sugars.

Thank you and I love this forumn! It's very informative and people seem "nicer" than on other internet forumns!

~uaskigyrl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning Fruit Question

Welcome uaskigyrl!
Yes, you can preserve most fruits without any sugar or just a very tiny amount, however, texture and especially color may suffer.
I use far less sugar that most recipes call for.
In my BBB (circa 2003), page 16 under the high acid foods section, there's a paragraph regarding sweeteners.
Not sure which BBB you have, but look it up and you'll find that it specifies canning with or without sweeteners and the potential results.

The table for syrups list the extra-light as 1 1/4c. sugar to 5 1/2c. water. I use more like 1/2c. sugar to 6c. water.
Just enough to help retain color and firmness. I am willing to sacrifice some texture to reduce the sugar.

Oh, and just so you know......we try to be nice!!
:-)

Don't hesitate to ask questions, everyone here is wonderful about answering at all levels of experience.

Deanna

o

I'm like Deanna - I really reduce the amount of sugar I use when making my syrups. Typically I go with about 1:6 sugar to water. I will often use apple juice instead of the syrup - I buy the unsweetened natural apple juice.

When making apple sauce or other fruit sauces, I hardly ever add sugar - I add it only to taste if it needs it.

In addition to the texture issue, you can get more browning of fruit if you don't add the syrup. I have a 6 year old at home who's at that age to say stupid things like "Icky Brown Peaches. I'm not going to eat them."

o

Water packed fruit is soft and it won't have nearly as much flavor. Sugar keeps the fruit more firm.
Fruit juice still has a lot of sugar. Lot of carbs.
I use a light syrup. If I need to get rid of sugar when I open the jars, I rinse the fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here