Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uaskigyrl

Canning Fruit Question

uaskigyrl
12 years ago

Hello!

I am brand new to this forumn and brand new to canning. I have three books that I've read front to back, several times: "Canning for a New Generation" by Liana Krissoff, "Well Preserved" by Eugenia Bone, and "Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving". So far I've canned a few items: Apple Sauce, strawberry jam, Mangoes in Honey Syrup, and Pineapple in Honey Syrup (to name a few). I like "Canning for a New Generation" because she uses all natural ingredients. I like "Ball Blue Book" because it's very basic and super informative.

My question is: I started canning because I want to control the amount of preservatives and sugars that go into my body. While reading Ball Blue Book, the recipes call for canning fruits in syrup. Is it possible to can fruits in water instead of syrup? Or, is the sugar necessary? Fruits have so much sugar in them as it is, I'd rather not add unneccessary sugars.

Thank you and I love this forumn! It's very informative and people seem "nicer" than on other internet forumns!

~uaskigyrl

Comments (3)