Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry Rhubarb Sundae Topping- Can or Freeze?

Posted by grlsixx CA 9a (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 23:43

Hi All,
Well, it's that time of year for me to get really inspired to can again. My sister made this simple strawberry rhubarb sauce for me the other day, and my entire family fell in love with it! I know that this is a cooking recipe, but could it be canned? Maybe I am better off freezing it? Here is the recipe- I warn you, it is super delicious served over vanilla icecream with a sprinkling of crumbled shortbread...

Ingredients
1 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered
2 rhubarb stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
1/2 cup sugar

Directions
1.In a large saucepan, place strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, and 1/4 cup water; bring to a simmer over high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb begins to break down, 6 to 8 minutes.
2.Refrigerate until cool, at least 1 hour and up to 1 week.

Thanks as always for your input!
Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry Rhubarb Sundae Topping- Can or Freeze?

Both strawberries and rhubarb are acid, so I suppose you could can it like applesauce.

However, I've found freezing strawberry-rhubarb purees works very well, so I've never bothered to can then.

You can try just a small amount and see how color and flavor hold up to canning.

Carol

o

It is just basic strawberry-rhubarb jam only without the pectin or quite so much sugar so you can it just as you would the jam. That recipe isn't going to make much though so freezing it would be easier. Why can such a small amount?

I would suggest cooking the rhubarb a bit first in the water before adding the rest. It takes the fibers in the rhubarb longer to break down so they aren't chewy.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry-Rhubarb jam

o

Thanks Dave and Carol! I just want to be safe. I have only a side-by-side freezer/refrigerator and my freezer is packed! I will definately make a larger batch than the original recipe, now that I know it is safe to can. I never used rhubarb in anything other than a pie, so wasn't sure if it was acid enough for BYB.
Thanks again... off to make more sauce!
Heather

o

If you were just making it as a topping to be kept in the fridge or freezer rather than a jam I would be inclined to cook it over a gentle heat, not high, so as not to destroy the fresh flavour and avoid blasting the fruit into a slurry. But then I prefer my stewed fruit with recognizable fruit in it. I know other people don't like 'bits' in their compotes and juices.

If you are going to can it I think the sugar would be better dissolved slowly. It might crystallize if boiled hard immediately. When you make jam you need to dissolve all the sugar before boiling hard.

o

The topping is super delicious, held up to canning well. I love love love that we can eat this all year long. Thanks for letting me know it was safe to can!

Heather

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here