Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borderokie

potatoes canned or frozen

borderokie
10 years ago

would just like opinions on which way you use your canned or frozen potatoes. We like to simmer new potatoes in butter salt pepper and sometimes add a little dill. Just wondering if the canned ones come out mushy. I see french fries for the canned. What do you do with your frozen ones?

Comments (10)

• kai615
    10 years ago

I don't freeze any of ours, I only can diced. But I LOVE the ease of opening a can of potatoes and making home fries in the morning, or tossing them into soups or chowders (or as my parents from MA say and now my kids because they think it is hilarious.... chowdaas).

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

I've made "brown and serve" ranch fries.
    Roast the potatoes for about 20 minutes, freeze single layer on a cookie sheet, then bag them up.
    You can take out what need later and brown them right from the freezer.

Deanna

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Agree the frozen ones makes great seasoned roasted potatoes, they can be made into home fires either cubed or sliced, frozen at french fries or seasoned steak fries, shredded hashbrowns, tossed in the crockpot with a pot roast, of lightly boiled.

Canned ones (rinsed) can also be used for all the above.

Dave

• misskimmie
    10 years ago

I like canning potatoes for quick meals. Having only one freezer, space is always a premium. I will pan "fry" some canned potatoes in a little butter and oil, add chopped onion and a jar of my canned chicken. Season with salt, pepper garlic powder and parsley for a chicken-hash supper.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Ok, someone take me thru the steps for canning new potatoes that actually tastes good (not mushy) when come out of jars. I always have more new potatoes during season that can eat immediately and hate to throw them away.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Ok, someone take me thru the steps for canning new potatoes that actually tastes good (not mushy) when come out of jars.

The problem is you are trying to can NEW potatoes. Doesn't work because the thin, immature skins allow
    rapid moisture loss, are almost impossible to peel so pathogen levels are high, and they are too high in sugars. You can can them but they will be mushy. Plus the variety makes a big difference. Some varieties hold up to canning much better than others - new or aged.

Most canning instructions call for well-aged or mature potatoes as mature/aged potatoes have converted their sugars to starch and the skins have toughened and are easily peeled for canning.

If you have too many new potatoes to eat why are you digging them so early.? Just harvest enough to eat and leave the rest to mature.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning Potatoes

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I sell them, and you never know how many will sell.

I'll use the 'storage' potatoes, well-cured when I do try. I haven't yet, but trying to gather information for the future.
    What variety have you found that cans the best for you?

• 4squaregardener
    10 years ago

Russett potatos have a lot of starch in them, thus soak in water to help leach it out. (personally I soaked them overnight) I add a bit of lemon juice to the water to keep them from turning brown. I am not putting my jars into any county fairs so even a little cloudy is okay for me. They still taste delicious. They stay firm enough to be used as homefries. I have not tried any other variety yet, but only because I canned a huge amount of russetts. I hear that other varieties such as golden turn out very nice and are not near as starchy. As for the purple potatoes.... I have no clue. Part of me thinks that the color would leach, (like beets) but I could be wrong.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Thanks 4square, that's what I want to know. I can buy several varieties during the summer fresh from the farmers. I didn't realize that just soaking would help remove some of the starch. We usually use Red potatoes, since they have less starch and are better for diabetics.

• psittacine
    10 years ago

We only use reds or purples for the same reason stated by myfamilysfarm above, I'm diabetic. We've discovered we really like using the canned reds for quick potato salads in the summer when we do extremely minimum indoor cooking. I've not canned purple potatoes yet so I don't know what their texture will be like. We grew them for the first time last year and really enjoyed eating them. Anyone here able to compare them to reds texture and useability in canned form?