Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenman101

What to do with onions?

gardenman101
12 years ago

Ok, so not all of them are from my garden, but I somehow wound up with alot of onions (people heard if I dont eat it rught away, I dont waste it either), So here i am with about 40 lbs, of onions (red, white and yellow) and dont know what to do with them. I typed in onion recipes in the search bar but didnt get any usable results (at least none that i saw) Any help please, and ty.

Comments (14)

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

That is a lot of onions. I don't do that many, but I dice and freeze them. You sure have to seal in tight containers or your whole freezer smells and things taste like onions.
    Do you have a dehydrator ? They would dry really well.

• gardenman101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have one of those food bag vacume systems, so I was going to dice some. Ill also dry some for soups, but are there any relish type recipes for them? Im looking for more ways to enjoy them and kinda have them the star ingredient and not a supporting act. Im wondering if good vacume bags will prevent the smell? Also how do u go about freezing them with out them becomeing 1 large clump?

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

Here's a thread on onion relish

Here is a link that might be useful: Onion Relish

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I dehydrate most of ours for easy storage but freezing is easy too. Just coarse chop, spread them out on a large cookie sheet and set it is the freezer for and hour or so, then bag them frozen and seal. Vacuum bags work well but if you use ziplock freezer bags double bag them.

As for fresh use recipes: make French onion soup and freeze it. Check out the SweetOnion site below for tons of recipes.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: SweetOnions.com

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

I measure into one cup amounts in small baggies. Then put them all into a VERY tight fitting lidded container in the freezer. Grab a bag and cook with them. So handy !

• deb1955
    12 years ago

Try roasting some on a sheet try in the oven with some carrots and red potato. Just toss with a little oil and salt and pepper. You can easily use 5 or 6 large onions for this and they cook down into manageable portions.

• tracydr
    12 years ago

You could can some French onion soup.

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

Lucky you! Sounds like you have great friends! :-)

Carmelize a bunch in a crockpot and then freeze too.
    That will reduce the size a bit to save some space.

If you dehydrate some (you can do this in a low, low oven if you don't have a dehydrator), you can turn some into onion powder.

Peel one, cut off dirty part of root end, but leave enough to keep it together. Place in a micro safe bowl with a pat of butter on top and nuke until nice and tender. Great with a big ol' steak!!

Enjoy your bounty and just be glad they didn't come when everything else is ripe too!

Deanna

• gardenman101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TY all I will be trying some of the suggestions you mention, esp the relish. If it go's well ill post the results. Ty again

• ruthieg__tx
    12 years ago

Be sure if you freeze them, you do it in particular amounts that you think you will use....like 1/2 cup or 1 cup amounts. It makes it so easy to grab a bag for a recipe or you read the recipe and you know you need two bags....no waste.

• sosusie
    12 years ago

The Joy of Cooking All About Canning & Preserving, and the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving have really good recipies for pickling red onion rings. We love them with ham and beans in the winter.
    SOS

• bejay9_10
    12 years ago

Dry some in dehydrator, then freeze in plastic containers for easy use. Sprinkled on artisan sourdough bread before baking makes them special.

Slice thin and add to left over dill pickle juice - great on burgers.

Grind with salt to make a paste, then dehydrate - grind again when dry until it sifts through a shaker.

Bejay

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Carmelize and can. Wouldn't it be nice to have quick access to caramelized onions?

• coffeehaus
    12 years ago

Last year I would cut a couple of onions into thick slices and grill them whenever I had the grill fired up for a meal...saves heating up the kitchen and I love the flavor. Then I chopped them up, portioned them into ice cube containers, froze the lot, and popped the frozen cubes into zip-locks for storage. A couple of cubes of grilled onions adds loads of flavor to so many dishes: omelets, soups, stews, mac and cheese, burritos/tacos, grilled cheese sandwiches, potato salad, etc.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting