Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burnt2daground_garn

home veg stand

I recently re-started my veg garden and expect it to produce way more than I can ever eat, store or can. Many years ago I use to take the excess down to the road and give it to anyone who'd drive by. I'd like to find someone who could send me a picture or drawing of a simple, yet nice mobile roadside stand that I could take down to the road. Anyone have one ?

Comments (14)

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

You can legally do that ? Here we would be fined a huge fine without proper permits and licenses.

• kriswrite
    10 years ago

You'll have to look up local regulations. I imagine you'd have to have a commercial vehicle, designed for selling food, in order to comply with regs.

• txtom50
    10 years ago

Mostly what I see in my area is people selling their stuff at local farmers markets (city sponsored) on the weekends. During the week, there are still a few folks who sell their produce from the tailgate of their pickup truck. I imagine the tailgaters have to get some kind of local license to sell.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

In certain areas, you would need some zoning advice. Other areas, if you are on your own property, no problems. Some places don't even require a license, just permission from land owner.

• alison
    10 years ago

You think permits are needed to give away produce?

I can imagine there might be zoning issues, but I don't think you need a permit to give something away.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

In some areas, anything needs a permit. Be safe, versus sorry, you could get a big fine. The permit would probably be needed for the stand, versus the way you are selling/giving.

• rdback
    10 years ago

Hi burnt.

In the June/July 2013 issue of Mother Earth News, there's an article about selling excess produce via the "honor system". I know that's not what you want to do, but there's and illustration of a "veggie stand" that looks easy to build. Just add a couple of bicycle wheels to make it mobile and off you go lol.

On another note, I'd like to know where, exactly, you have to have some kind of permit to "go down to the road" and set up a table loaded with veggies and a sign that says "Free to Good Home", because I want to be darn sure I never move there.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: MEN veggie article

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Clinton county, IN requires permits.

• pkramer60
    10 years ago

Rather than giving it away, why not donate it to a food pantry or homeless shelter?? check out "Plant a row for the hungry" for more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant a row for the hungry

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Some food banks will only take produce that has at least 1 week of shelf life. Others will just put the produce out the next day opened. We have several larger gardeners donate their extras. Our food bank is open on Tuesday, but market is only on Friday, so that works well for us and them.

I've also donated to the soup kitchens, they offer the produce for the clients to take home after eating at the kitchen.

Plus it's tax deductible, if you qualify for Schedule A deductions.

• DirtToPlate.com
    10 years ago

Here's my two cents...

There is a couple near me that has a similar issue. Not a large garden, but one that must certainly produce more than they can use.

Their house is set-back about 100 feet from the dirt road. Out front, when they have something to sell, they hang a sign indicating what's available. The writing area of the sign is in black and they write the items available in caulk. It's a nice looking sign.

I don't go by often, but when I have, they seem to have buyers. What's surprising is that the road is not that well traveled. I don't know if they have a sign at the main road.

I've heard mornings and weekends are best. Especially during time when garage sales are in full swing.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Man's Garden Endeavor

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

We set up an honor system stand (we're 1/3 mile off road). Did really really well, so I thought, until watermelons started to leave without payments. After weighing EVERYTHING several times per day, I found that about 1/2 of what left was paid for. Still did about $200 per week, that was paid for.

• DirtToPlate.com
    10 years ago

Fantastic!

My wife teases me that I will have to get a table at the local farmers market because I over planted. I'm hoping my neighbors will come through instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Man's Garden Endeavor

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

After being a vendor at our local farmers market, I'll give you my advise. Check the market out, see what rules they have, how much insurance they require and what their fee is. Not all (actually very few) markets are the kind where you can just show up and sell. Farmers markets are getting to be big business, along with all the restrictions that businesses have.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!