Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phildeez_gw

Roasted Garlic-Oil and Botulism

Phildeez
12 years ago

I have read that storing roasted garlic cloves in olive oil can still run the risk of botulism. What about oil that I made by roasting the whole head of garlic and harvesting the oil while it was hot.

Roasted at 350 degrees for around two hours, the garlic was fried to a crisp and inedible but the oil tastes amazing! Hopefully it is also safe to keep because I made a whole bottle.

Thanks for helping me not kill myself.

-Phil

Comments (7)

• readinglady
    12 years ago

If you infused the oil with the garlic then strained out all the solids risk should be miniscule. However, you can totally eliminate risk by freezing the infused and strained oil in small amounts and only thawing what you can use in a week or so.

That probably will also result in a better product as home infused oils lack the preservatives of many commercial ones.

Carol

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Carol. I did not have to strain any solids out, I just wrapped the head of garlic (cut in half) in foil that I slit multiple times with a knife. The garlic stayed whole and I simply lifted out the foil package and poored the oil back into a bottle. The oil is very clear and clean looking.

So it is garlic solids that run the risk? Is it only raw or partially cooked garlic? Sites give mixed answers as to whether roasting eliminates the risk or not. Maybe because there are many methods of roasting and some do not heat the garlic up entirely?

Thanks again
    -Phil

• readinglady
    12 years ago

It is the garlic solids. Without testing there's no way to determine whether roasted garlic is safe or not, but my guess is not because you'd have to be 100% certain there was no water activity left in the garlic whatsoever. That's why infusing oil with dried garlic flakes or dried peppers isn't a problem.

My inclination is not to take any risks with botulism. If you wish to keep the roasted garlic in the oil, again, freezing is the safest option for long-term storage. Given that it's oil, it's not going to take long to thaw.

It's similar to what many Italian restaurants do. They often store chopped garlic in oil in the freezer, scooping out what they need as demand requires.

Carol

• usmc0352
    12 years ago

Related question?

I want to oven roast garlic cloves, peeled. Not making garlic butter. Then I want to take that garlic cloves and put it into a jar with olive oil. Later I'd like to eat it as a snack, right out of the jar, so....I should freeze this jar until ready for use? How long would the roasted garlic keep in a jar of oil in the fridge?

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I want to take that garlic cloves and put it into a jar with olive oil. Later I'd like to eat it as a snack, right out of the jar, so....I should freeze this jar until ready for use?

If I understand your question correctly then I think Carol answered that above. The risk is the garlic solids and the issue of if the roasting would remove sufficient water. So for what you want, freezing is the only way to go.

Trying to keep it in the fridge instead would be at your own risk. Since it wouldn't have been irradiated and wouldn't have the preservatives and stabilizers that commercial products have added there is no way to know for sure how long it would be safe to eat.

Dave

• readinglady
    12 years ago

The current recommendation for refrigerated vegetables in oil is no longer than 3 weeks, but that's the absolute maximum. Since refrigerators differ in temperature, personally I wouldn't go longer than a week and I'd prefer three or four days. Thawing something in the fridge after freezing is such an easy process, why take a risk?

Carol

• patrick_organic
    12 years ago

Frozen beats radiation and preservatives any day! Pickled garlic?

Here is a link that might be useful: home