Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seperated strawberry jam

Posted by susieqrn59 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 8:04

My strawberry jam seperated and I need it for shower favors. I don't mind re-processing it. Can I open them all, stir it and re HWB them? New lids of course. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seperated strawberry jam

It will break the gel if you do that. It has to be hot to go into the jars.
Strawberry does that unless you let it sit for about 5 min. then stir, and put into the jars and process.

o

To re-process you'll have to open all the jars, re-heat the jam and re-bottle in clean hot jars with new lids.

The separation is happening because the berries are not fully saturated with the sugar syrup and they're lighter, so they float.

As Linda Lou implied when she mentioned breaking the gel, there is a risk that the re-cooked jam will not set again.

Carol

o

Most recipients of homemade jam do not care if it is not perfect; they are just pleased to have something tasty and handmade. You could tell them to stir it after opening, if someone should ask.

Next time you make strawberry jam heat the berries and sugar, cover and let sit overnight then finish processing the next day. They will have more time to absorb the syrup and usually will not have floaters. I use this technique for all my fruit jams - all types of berries, cherries, figs, peaches, etc. where there are bits of fruit. Those fruits that break down easily or have been pureed or went through a food mill do not seem to have the floating fruit problem so I just process the normal way.

Hope this helps.

Nancy

o

Suzie - If you have a food processor, next time try running half your fruit thru to a fine cut and the other half to a chunkier cut. I do that regularly to help with the "floating fruit" problem.
I used to do the overnight in the fridge but got to the point where I didn't want to reheat and wait until the next day. This is still a very viable alternative however with those fruits that have a lot of air in the fruit tissue (and strawberries are one of the worst).
Jim in So Calif

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here