Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracik_gw

Dave......

tracik
9 years ago

You posted this recipe the other day on the chow chow thread.

Green Tomato Chow Chow

1 dozen green tomatoes, cored and quartered or coarsely chopped
3 medium green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium yellow peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium onions, peeled and quartered
1 cup fresh jalapenos, stemmed and chopped (optional)
1/2 cup sugar (brown or white) optional or sweeten to taste
Spices: mustard seed, celery seed, red pepper flacks, cinnamon (optional
1 quart 5% vinegar (cider or white)

Mix and heat all to boiling, Reduce heat and simmer for 5 mins to allow flavors to blend. Fill pint jars, cap and seal.

Process pints for 10 min. in BWB.

Dave

It sounds really good and I want to make it. I have a couple of questions please.

1. On the dozen green tomatoes is that med size?

2. On the spices it doesn't say how much of each if you use them.

Thanks!!

Comments (5)

• tracik
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, and is this all finely chopped or medium chopped?

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Recipe says quartered or coarsely chopped but that means different thing to different folks. :) To me it means approx. 1/2" pieces and that is what I use because we use it primarily as a condiment/topping. For those who want to use chow chow as a side dish then they may prefer quartered..

The size of the green tomatoes - once cored it doesn't make all that much difference what size they were to start with, med or lg. (as long as they aren't cherry).. Bigger fruit have bigger cores so when chopped the end amount is approx. the same. And again it all depends on how you want to use it - as a relish or as a side dish all on its own.

See with pickling recipes, as long as the brine is a safe ratio and the jar mixture is kept soupy, you have a fairly big amount of leeway. The measurements of the solid ingredients can vary. They don't have to be exact.

The spices are all optional and "to taste". Average pickling recipe measurements for mustard seed, cinnamon, and celery seed are 1 tsp. For red pepper flakes 1/2 tsp. So if someone likes them all they might start with adding 1/2 dose of each, taste, then add a bit more if needed for their taste buds. Or they might choose to leave out the pepper flakes but add a bit more mustard seed or they might taste before adding any of them and like it just as is and leave them all out.

As long as you are working with dried spices the amount is up to you as they don't alter pH or density. Same goes for sugar - taste as you prepare it. Start with 1/2 the sugar and then taste and add more if needed.

Like I said before, if you don't like it going into the jar, you won't like it coming out. So fix it before it goes into the jars. :)

Dave

• tracik
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, thank so much for the info!!

So, From what you are saying, I can substitute some of the bell peppers for more green tomatoes and it will be safe?

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

No, you can sub like for like but you cannot sub different ingredients for each other. Peppers and green tomatoes have totally different pH. Green tomatoes are acidic, peppers are very low acid.

What I said was

The measurements of the solid ingredients can vary. They don't have to be exact.

To clarify that means each ingredient.

Peppers for different peppers, red onions for white or yellow, some ripe tomatoes for some of the green, etc.

But the total amount of the ingredients remains the same so while you can sub like for like you cannot increase - especially with low-acid ingredients.

OK?

Dave

• tracik
    Original Author
    9 years ago

awwww, ok thanks!! You have helped me so much!