Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happygardener23

What is worth growing to preserve?

happygardener23
10 years ago

I rent a large community garden plot and due to some seedling loss and a recent decision to add my annual flowers to my home garden rather than grow at the community plot I have a lot of extra space available (approx 200 sq ft. of prepped beds). I'd rather not use it to grow weeds, and would like to plant it with items that I can preserve in some way to extend our food into the off season.

The catch is that I have to grow things that I can still direct seed at this stage of the growing season (our unusually extended season of cool temps should hopefully help me a bit here) because I don't want to invest much $ in buying plants at this point and I have a lot of seeds on hand.

I'm already growing tomatoes, cuces, peppers, various summer and winter squash, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, spinach, lettuce/greens, beets, watermelon radish, eggplant, onions, herbs, and some shell beans.

Any suggestions for fast growing, versatile to preserve foods (and suggestions for ways to preserve them) appreciated!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH