Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Presto Weights jiggle speed?

Posted by chrisb_sc_z7 near Clemson, SC (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 9:03

I played with the Presto weights last night for the first time. Had some siphoning. I'll play again tonight. I fear the pressure was too high. 5 out of 7 quarts look fine. 1 was down an inch or so. One was down 2 inches or more and did not seal.

Blanched green beans, hot pack quarts, 10 pounds, 25 minutes.

Stove is a Jenn-Air electric coil cook top with the special canning burner installed.

How do you determine how fast that weight jiggle should be? I was counting a good 4 ticks/jiggles ((1)mississippi (2)mississippi (3)mississippi...) per second. Is there a video somewhere that shows the weight jiggling at the right speed? That was the speed at which it was jiggling when it started, so I tried to maintain it. Decreased the burner from 9 down to 5 and it was holding the tick speed.

Thank you.
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Presto Weights jiggle speed?

Presto weights are machined to jiggle continuously when at pressure so no counting is necessary. It shouldn't be a hard rock n' roll, just more like a waltz. :)

Siphoning isn't caused by too high a pressure but by fluctuations in it or by improper cool down procedures. Have you read the step-by-step instructions at NCHFP?

Dave

o

See a waltz to me indicates that maybe it rocks from side to side once a second or so. I guess the fact that it was moving at all is a good thing. I'll hone in on it sooner or later.

As for directions, I followed the big 2 page spread in BBB page 70-71 specifically on how to do green beans. Slow heat up, slow cool down, no forced removal of steam, left weights on until the safety plug dropped and the gage even read zero. zero pressure, lift lid, no pressure hiss, lots of steam, wait 10 more minutes in water bath, lift out onto towel covered counter... I ate dinner while it was depressurizing, but it wasn't more than about 15 minutes. I have no idea how long they sat at zero pressure. But it wasn't like I left them in there for hours. It was definitely just a few minutes.

I was smelling beans long before time was up, so it might have been a lid issue since it wasn't pressure.

When I decreased the burner setting, it was a half number at a time and a pause for a minute or so. I didn't jump from 9 to 5.

Maybe I'll video the jiggle next time for kicks. Some waltzes do move at a pretty good pace, ya know... :-)

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 13:12

Let me see if I can come up with a better analogy - know the song Rock a Bye Baby? Sing it along with the weight movement as you would a lullaby.

The directions I was referring to was the How to use a pressure canner instructions (linked below) as the timing instructions between zero and removing the weight and then more time before removing the lid (steps 8 and 9) will eliminate most siphoning. But reducing heat even 1/2 step at a time can also contribute. Less than a 1/4 step at a time works best for me on my coil stove.

But the goal is to learn to get to the point where you don't have to make any heat adjustments after the weight is put on. Once you can ID that number on your stove dial then right before putting on the weight lower the dial to that number and leave it.

Dave

Edited to add: forget to mention to avoid over packing the jars with beans too. They will soak up some of the water in the jar and can give the appearance of siphoning. So if it is a chronic problem then the odds are you are overpacking the jars a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Using Pressure Canner steps

This post was edited by digdirt on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 13:14

o

I'll do my homework...

o

I've got nothing of benefit to add. I just wanted to say that the conversation about timing the jiggling to music (and especially the "Rock a Bye Baby" comment) cracked me up.

Rodney

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 19:28

Best I could come up with off the top of my head. Happened to be doing some dried beans at the time and it seemed to fit pretty good. Rap just doesn't work. :)

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here