Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to harvest nettle leaves

Posted by CecilWesterhof none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 9:20

A little while ago I wanted to make nettle soup. For thee you can use the whole plant, but for soup you can only use the leaves. (I do not put it through the blender.) I wanted to harvest a kilo of leaves, but it was quit labour intensive, so I quit at a third of it. Is there a smart way to harvest the leaves fast?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to harvest nettle leaves

Never done it myself other than as a very bad childhood experience. So for me it wouldn't be worth the suffering. :-)

But I did find several how-to articles on the web (linked below). But from browsing through them it seems it is just lots of labor intensive picking (with gloves and long sleeved shirts to avoid the sting burn).

Here is a link that might be useful: How to harvest nettles

o

Be sure to wash well with soap and water as soon as possible.

o

digdirt: Thanks. I'll look into them. But properly I'll limit myself to thee then.

o

Cecil - you need to pick them early in the year when they are no more than about 25cm tall. Wear gloves and pick the whole stems. At that time of year you will probably be wearing thick clothes anyway! You do not need to remove the leaves if the plants are young and tender. Later in the year they are too tough and fibrous. It is too late to pick nettles for eating now unless you can find a patch which has been cut back and has regrown. A kilo of leaves will make a huge amount of soup! This recipe only needs 400 g. It does say to pick off the leaves but I don't bother since you are going to blend the soup anyway. I would not wash them in soup and water either , just thoroughly rinse in water. I don't see how you could ever get the taste of soap off them and presumably you will be picking them from a place you know has not been sprayed.

(BTW - 'tea'.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Nettle soup

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here