Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracik3

pic of pineapple jam and questions

tracik3
10 years ago

So, I made pineapple jam from the ball book. 2 pineapples made 3 half pints. The recipe does not call for pectin so I put all the required sugar in it. 2 1/2 cups I think. Also, the recipe called 1 cup of water which I added but I also added all the juice from the pineapple and the recipe didn't say anything about it.

I ate some this morning and it is really good. I am wondering if I could of cut out the water and just used the juice or add the needed water to juice to make it a cup? I had to cook it a long time to thicken. I'm not sure if that is normal or not.

I would also like to cut some of the sugar out next time but can I do that with out using pectin? Will it thicken?

Thanks so much for all the help y'all have been giving me!

Comments (11)

• tracik3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also, I just bought one of these little gadgets. Pineapple cutter or whatever you call it. It has changed my life!! lol I love to grill pineapple but I hate cutting it so I rarely buy it. I will no longer shy away from the pineapple I love!! Just thought I would share in case any one out there wondered it they work.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

That's a neat tool, but think I would like to get more out of the shell.

• tracik3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I cut up the shell and ate what I could off of it and it wasn't pretty!! lol and I cut some off and gave it to my dog. She LOVES pineapple.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

As long you enjoyed, and your dog too. Where did you get it?

• tracik3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just from Walmart. But, both of them were really good and juicy.

• bcskye
    10 years ago

Really good looking pineapple jam. I like the idea of having the corer/slicer gadget myself. And regarding your question on replacing the water with the pineapple juice, I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it. I would.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

Question: Is it really necessary to core the pineapple for the jam? I had one of those tools but eventually donated it as I felt there was too much wasted. When I cut up pineapple for smoothies, the vitamix says that you can put the core in so I do which saves some time and makes it go further so was wondering if it were possible to include the core in the jam.

• tracik3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The directions say to remove the core.

You don't have to have it. I have cut many pineapple with out one. I would just cut around the core.

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

I make pineapple syrup out of my cores and peels.

• bcskye
    10 years ago

Tracik3, thanks to your post, I got the pineapple corer/peeler/slicer/spearer similar to your's only metal with the plastic handle. Used it today for the first time and I love it. It pretty much took all the fruit out of the peel, not leaving enough to even try to eat off the peel. I paid $7.99 for it at Kitchen Collection. I worked there many years ago and its nearby, but you can order from them online. I have another pineapple in the fridge and will do it tomorrow. My husband loves pineapple. Thank you for your post.

By the way, Pomona's Pectin has a recipe for pineapple jam that calls for 4 cups mashed fruit and either 1/2 to 1 cup of honey or 3/4 to 2 cups of sugar. It makes 4 to 5 cups of jam. Of course, you can use artificial sweetener or whatever and it will jell with Pomona's. We're both diabetics so I make mine with Splenda. I've even made apple pie jam with artificial sweetener and Pomona's and it tastes like the regular with sugar to us.

• tracik3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad you liked it!! Its my new favorite kitchen tool! I love to grill pineapple slices. This is perfect for that.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths