Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potatoes...french fries in a jar...clarify blanching

Posted by jill2761 Southeast Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 9:36

In a previous thread on canning french fries in a jar, Digdirt mentioned he didn't blanch the potatoes for this method.

He said..."This is one of those situations where you choose. You are supposed to blanch, yes. Did I? Yes with the first batch. No, with the second batch."

Since it is recommended to hot pack potatoes for canning, could I get some clarification on this? Did you just cut the potatoes like french fries and put them raw pack in the jars covered by boiling water? Or did I misunderstand what your process was? I've done the French Fries in a jar before and want to do them again. If they can be done safely without blanching I would love it!

Thanks...

Jill

Here is a link that might be useful: French Fries in a Jar

This post was edited by jill2761 on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 10:18

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potatoes...french fries in a jar...clarify blanching

Jill - the simple answer is I fudged it. :-)

Keeping in mind that with that particular batch they were well aged spuds already (store-bought and over winter stored) so the enzyme-stopping and starch conversion aspects of blanching was nullified by time. That leaves only the heating aspect.

While not approved, I decided that given the narrow size and loose packing (both allow for fast heat penetration) in the jars and the hot boiling water the processing in the PC would be sufficient. My choice.

What would be a better option probably would be to make the fries and steam blanch them for 2-3 min. before filling the jars.

Dave

o
RE: Potatoes...french fries in a jar...clarify blanching

Thank you for the clarification. I was pretty sure I understood all the safety aspects, but wanted to confirm. When potatoes are cut small (or narrow), even the 2-3 minute blanch time seems like too much. At least with the blanching, some of the starch is removed when they are drained. I'll think on this some more before deciding. Appreciate the response. I'm trying to save time, extra steps and eliminate some of the mess without compromising safety. :-)

Jill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here