Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini Sweet Peppers - can they be pickled/canned?

Posted by robin_d 8b Tacoma WA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 10:32

I have most of a bag of "Mini Sweet Peppers" from Costco that I need to use up before they go bad. The package doesn't state the variety(s), but they are a mix of red, yellow and orange sweet peppers, rather thin walled.

Would these be good pickled and canned? If so, can you share your favorite recipe?

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini Sweet Peppers - can they be pickled/canned?

Because they are delicate and thin walled, normal BWB canning with turn them to mush. I can the salad bar type pepperoncini peppers which are also very thin walled, and I use a no heat vacuum process instead. I pierce each pepper first so each gest full strength vinegar inside. Its veen very successful for me, but would require vacuum tight vessles, a good quality vacuum pump with moisture trap, as well as the Food Saver adapter that can attach to the top of canning jars (with a lid in place). My peppers from 2 years ago are just as crisp as if they were made weeks ago. They have the same texture as the ones you buy in stores.

o

It would be easier to freeze them. It's not very energy efficient to can such a small amount and with those peppers freezing will yield a better result. Clean, cut into strips or large dice then freeze loose on a lined or nonstick tray or sheet. Once they're solid bag them up.

These will soften when thawed but work fine in casseroles, braises, soups etc. They'll retain a fresh flavor and better texture than canning.

Carol

o

Robin, I bring those peppers to work and eat them as snacks. They only have a few seeds right up near the stem so I just bite into them and stop when I get to the top. I need things like this to keep me out of the vending machine. :-)

If you want to freeze them as Carol suggests, you could just cut them across into rings, and they'll be perfect for pizza (which would soften them anyway).

Melissa

o

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think I will just freeze them. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here