Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Processing times for salsa?

Posted by jennieboyer 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 10:39

Hi - I made some salsa today from Ball salsa mix - only requires tomatoes, vinegar, and the sauce. The processing time for pints is 35 minutes. Why is it so high compared to something like Annie's salsa?

I checked my Mrs. Wages mix, and it requires 40 minutes! Both of them are BWB times. I did it for the time it said, but am curious about why so much time is required!

Thanks!

Jennie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Processing times for salsa?

You really can't compare processing times from different recipes. Just as you can't generalize, use the processing time required for one recipe and apply it to other recipes. Doing so can be quite dangerous in canning.

Different amounts of low acid ingredients plus different amounts of vinegar etc. all mean different pH and different density. The lower the pH, more low acid the ingredients or the greater the density, the longer the processing time required.

Dave

o

After canning for decades, I found that if there is 2 times just a few minutes apart, I'll error on the longer side. Better to be safe than sorry.

o

Is this a hot or raw pack?
Annie's is hot when you put in in the jar.
I haven't used the mixes, but if they are raw (cold), they would need extra time to heat to the middle of the jar appropriately.

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here