Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
got_bullmastiff

Opinion on processing time: Rose Petal Jam

got_bullmastiff
14 years ago

Hi,

I am wondering about a recipe I have in "Herbal Treasures by Phyllis V. Shaudys. This is an older book.. I think I bought it at least 10 years ago.

It includes a recipe for Rose Petal Jam that I would love to try since my complicata is going like gangbusters this year.

I'm wondering if it is truly safe to can... instructions say to pour into sterilized jars and seal. That's it. Lots of sugar... but.. well, I'm paranoid.. and here it is.

Kathleen's Rose-Petal Jam

1 quart fragrant rose petals tightly packed

3 cups water

1 package Sure - Jell

2 tablespoons lemon juice

4 cups sugar

Heat petals and water to boiling. Steep for 20 minutes. Strain and reserve petals. Measure liquid and add water to make 3 cups. Mix with Sure jell and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the sugar and bring to a hard rolling boil. Boil for one minute. Remove from heat and stir in reserved rose petals. Stir for a few minutes to prevent petals from floating. Pour into sterlized jars and seal.

I'm thinking that if you don't add back in the rose petals it should be fine.. 10 minutes?

Opinions?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I'd do what you're thinking -strain out the rose petals and BWB 10 minutes.

Based on my experience with rose petals in jam, what you end up with is leathery bits that aren't very appealing anyway.

You may find that rose petal jam smells a lot better cooking than it tastes out of the jar, but it's always fun to experiment.

Carol

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you very much! I actually have had rose petal jam before and quite enjoyed it. I plan on making this and lemon balm jelly for my mother for her birthday in the Winter.. that little bit of spring will be very well received!

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

What is your recipe for Lemon Balm jelly? We have been using this one but always looking for others.

Dave

1 c. lemon balm
    3 c. water
    1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    6 1/2 c. sugar
    1 bottle liquid pectin
    Drop of yellow food coloring

Directions:
    Steep lemon balm in boiled water 10-20 minutes. Strain. Bring infusion and sugar to a rolling boil, add pectin and cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat, add coloring, jar and seal. Process 5 mins. in BWB.

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL! Dave, I was going to search the forum right now for a recipe! Ive never made it before.. but have wanted to.. Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area