Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahbee01

salsa info

ahbee01
12 years ago

I haven't made salsa in 2 years, I use Annie's Salsa recipe, and have seen that there have been some changes. I always follow the recipe, and want to know if this recipe is still up to date, the most recent recipe I have is from an 09 post,I think!

I haven't been able to can it because of tomato loss 2 years in a row, I did freeze some so I didn't worry about it being canning safe! I am hopeful that this year our maters will make it to be canned, plus I want to share the recipe and I want to make sure I have the correct info. I really love this salsa, as does my entire family, so when I share the recipe, I really make sure that the receiver understand the importance of being canning safe!

Thanks to anyone who can help, I have really missed this board, and canning, everyone always made me feel welcome and have always been patient and helpful! I still consider myself new to canning, and feel I have a lot more to learn.

Thanks again, Brenda

Annie's Salsa Ingredient Checklist:

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained

2-1/2 cups onion, chopped

1-1/2 cups green pepper, chopped

3 - 5 jalapenos, chopped

>Any combination of green, red, whatever color peppers is fine. 3-5 jalapenos equates to roughly 1/4 cup, so total peppers cannot exceed 1-3/4 cups.

6 cloves garlic, minced

>Do not increase. But small differences in size of cloves should not matter.

2 teaspoons cumin

2 teaspoons pepper

2 Tbsp canning salt

>For taste only. Can be reduced or left out entirely.

1/4 cup (4 Tbsp) fresh cilantro, chopped

>Can be reduced or left out entirely. Do not increase.

1/3 cup sugar

>For taste only. Can be reduced or left out entirely.

1 cup 5% cider vinegar

>Pressure canning is no longer recommended, which specified 1/3 cup vinegar. Must include full 1 cup of vinegar for BWB processing.

However, may substitute bottled lemon or lime juice in any proportions according to taste (for example, 1/3 cup vinegar, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1/3 cup lime juice). Can use any flavor vinegar (white, cider, etc.) as long as acidity is at least 5%.

2 cups (16 oz.) tomato sauce

>For texture only. Can be reduced or left out entirely.

2 cups (16 oz.)tomato paste

>For texture only. Can be reduced or left out entirely.

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. Pour into hot pint jars, seal and process in a hot water canning bath for 15 minutes.

Makes about 6 pints.

>Cannot BWB quarts. If doing half-pints or smaller, process for the pint time of 15 minutes.

Comments (38)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Reads the same as mine except for the amount of salt. Mine says 1/8 cup but as you note it can be reduced.

I have this one added note: "I do scoop out the goo in the middle of the tomatoes with my thumbs when I'm peeling and chopping, so it's 8 cups of chopped tomatoes without the seeds and goo."

Dave

• ahbee01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Dave! 2 Tbl spoons = 1/8 cup, at least that is what my mom says! Thanks again for your response, I will can it using this recipe! I do scoop the goo so I will add that with the recipe!
    Brenda

• swjonthebay
    12 years ago

I notice the recipe says not to increase the amount of cilantro. Is there a safety reason for not increasing it? I love cilantro in salsa and would think I'd like a little more in mine :)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

For canning it? Yes, it is a fresh herb so it changes the pH. You can use dried with no problems. Just keep in mind that like some other herbs cilantro tends to turn bitter in canned goods while sitting on the shelf if you use too much.

If you want to make it for fresh eating only you can use all the cilantro you want.

Dave

• swjonthebay
    12 years ago

Dave, thank you for the clarification!

Sherry

• ruthieg__tx
    12 years ago

Ahhhhhhhhhhh yes,............I believe that's the recipe I use and I will say this also, sometimes I don't make it really hot so I can use it for cooking. I can add heat when I open the jar. I hope I have a good crop this year too but the heat has descended on us early so I am concerned.

• deb1955
    12 years ago

I make a green tomato salsa in the food processor that can be stored in canning jars in the refrigerator for a month or so.

This version is crunchy and very popular with everyone who tries it.

4 large green tomatoes
    1 med onion
    1 tablespoon of sea salt
    juice of two limes
    cilantro to taste

Just pulse it up and taste it to see if you want more salt or lime jucie.

Seal tightly and it will stay crunchy for weeks. I also use it in cooking.

• ahbee01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds good, I will give it a try,simple and easy!

• oletimer
    12 years ago

Dave, In the recipe posted above it has that you can reduce or leave out the tomato sauce, you made a comment that the recipe reads the same as yours except for the salt, I thought I have read that you can Not leave out the sauce but you can the paste. I think this is what confuses people, to many post with different directions it gets so a person doesn't know what is what. I try to go by the latest one posted.

• Sid23
    12 years ago

Sorry, I am new to canning and plan to do Salsa this year. I understand the safety of the acidity and all. Why can you not use quart jars for salsa?

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I absolutely love cilantro and ended up adding more fresh to each jar after opening for use.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Sid, the problem with quarts of salsa is density of product. If you make a thick and chunky salsa, the heat may not penetrate evenly and so your salsa might not be heated sufficiently for safety purposes.

When I first started canning this recipe, there was no recommendation for quarts and no recommendation against them, they simply were not mentioned. Now the recommendation is that salsa cnnot be safely canned in quarts.

Annie

• User
    12 years ago

My kids and I make this every summer and love it. We made about a hundred jars last year for a wedding, it was quite a hit.

We made a few changes to the recipe, and made it mild, medium and hot.

Annie's Salsa (Medium)

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
    2 1/2 cups chopped onion
    1 1/2 cups chopped sweet peppers - red, yellow, orange, purple, green
    3 - 5 chopped jalapenos, most of seeds and ribs removed
    6 cloves minced garlic
    1 tsp cumin
    2 tsp ground pepper
    2 Tbs cup coarse salt
    1 Tbs sugar
    1-cup cider vinegar or 1/2 cup vinegar 1/2 cup lime juice (or lemon juice)
    16 oz. tomato sauce (either homemade or store bought)
    8 oz tomato paste (store bought is fine)
    Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, and boil 10 minutes.

Canning: Spoon into hot, sterilized jars.
    For boiling water bath (BWB) canning - 15 minutes for pints
    Makes 6 pints, 14 half pints, 30 or so 4 oz jars

Chopped fresh cilantro I added when the salsa is opened

Enjoy this, and happy canning.
    Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Making salsa

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Momj47, that's funny, Zabby and I both made it for weddings too. I did 150 jars for favors for Amanda's wedding and they were a hit, not a jar was left.

Annie

• yale1997_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for the recipe with information with what you can leave out and what must stay. I have been searching for a recipe to can and would only like to use fresh ingredients, not the canned tomato sauce and paste. Way too many tomatoes at our house so it will be a canning fest for us tomorrow.

BTW, has anyone made fermented salsa? I had some at a fermentation class and it was very good. I have made some batches, but don't want to put all my eggs in one basket just in case they don't turn out.

Thanks again!

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

From ahbee01's post: >Pressure canning is no longer recommended, which specified 1/3 cup vinegar.

Is this a quality or safety issue? I must have read the answer before, but have forgotten.

Christine asks: BTW, has anyone made fermented salsa?

I've tried fermenting several concoctions with tomatoes in them & fermented tomatoes are horrible. Just finished fermenting some tomatoes for seed saving & the smell is almost as bad as possum stink. JMO

• malna
    12 years ago

John_showme_usa,
    Pressure canning is no longer recommended only because it has never been tested. Some people here still PC their salsa, but use the full one cup of vinegar.

I'm not a fan of the texture of it after 30 minutes in the PC, but some people prefer it.

Hope that helps.

• christine97
    12 years ago

John

The batch from the fermenting class didn't smell bad at all and tasted great, similar to fresh, but not totally. I made some at the end of July and my husband took some out two weeks later and hasn't had any issues other than that jar I used 2T of salt so it was extra salty. But your experience is why I want to can some too, you never know.

Christine

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

Christine,

I was fermenting a tomato mash, not chunks or small whole tomatoes. And I don't use much salt. Was looking for additives to a pepper mash fermentation for a hot sauce. Carrots and cantaloupe were fantastic additions, but not mashed tomatoes.

malna,

I've PCd a few batches of salsa(s) based on Annie's recipes and really liked them even though texture wasn't as good.

ahbee01,

Annie's salsa recipes will never let you down and I have competition trophies to prove it.

jt

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

I was going to mention a newly discovered use for this salsa - in summer, starch based salads like pasta, couscous, and yesterday, we made one with quinoi.

Cook your starch, drain and let cool, stir in about 1/4 volume salsa, and there ya go.

• LMoon310
    12 years ago

I have a dumb question, but how long does it stay good for?

• ahbee01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have some from 09, and I'm still eating it, I couldn't believe my eye when I found some hidden behind a box in my basement. That being said I think the recommendation is a year.
    I haven't been eating my stash right from the jar, I simmer it for about 20-30 min. Only because I have been using it to make sloppy joes, and salsa chicken.

• caboodle
    12 years ago

The recommendation for a year is more a quality thing than safety thing. We eat our canned goods for as long as it takes us to get through them. :)

Judi

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

david52 writes: "I was going to mention a newly discovered use for this salsa - in summer, starch based salads like pasta, couscous, and yesterday, we made one with quinoi."

And this is the summer that I discovered pasta! Started when I saw boxes of Betty Crocker Suddenly PASTA Salad on sale. Think I started with Chipotle Ranch. Fantastic cold or hot and salsa is perfect mixed in. And I've been rolling it into "burritos" for the freezer. Also good cold or hot.

Salsa rules!

• annie1992
    12 years ago

I agree, the one year recommendation is a quality issue, mine starts to darken after a year and eventually it becomes less flavorful.

I just made my first 13 pints yesterday. Thanks for the tip about using it to make pasta salad!

Annie

• ahbee01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chipotle Ranch sounds yummy, how much salsa do you add?

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

"Chipotle Ranch sounds yummy, how much salsa do you add?

Depends on what else I add. Last night added sliced cukes, tomatoes, cheese, walnuts, blueberries and maybe 1/4 cup manzano-heated salsa to a cold pasta salad.

I'm also experimenting with veggie burgers lately & salsa will be making its way into them.

• gemini40
    12 years ago

OMg you folks are so talented, I wouldn't be interested in making this recipe for canning purposes but would love to make it just to have on hand for a football weekend. Would you recommend cutting the recipe in half or what changes if any do you make if you just want some fresh homemade salsa?
    Just a couple of jars is what I would like to have on hand.

June

• ahbee01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If you don't want to can it pop it in the freezer in what ever size portions you like! I think it freezes just fine!
    Someone said they added some chicken broth to it and some corn, made a really good southwestern soup, I can't remember who posted it, but I tried it and we loved it!!!
    I have cut the recipe in half, and used fresh limes instead of vinegar for fresh eating, and have also made a whole batch with the lime, and froze it for soup later!

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

If you like lime, you can can it using bottled lime juice for all or part of the vinegar. I mix lemon and lime for canning since lemon is less expensive but we like the taste of lime.

I've also made the soup just adding water, or canned condensed tomato soup to stretch it. You go through lots of salsa eating it as soup!

• daisydawnny
    12 years ago

I lurke a lot here...Just made 2 batches of Annie's Salsa! What a hit! Thank's Annie for sharing your wonderful recipe!

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Wow, salsa soup, I'd never have thought of that.

Daisydawnny, you are so welcome. I still need to make about one more batch myself.

Annie

• megkor
    12 years ago

Hello,
    I am new here and have already enjoyed reading the post here. I made annie's Salsa last weekend and this weekend want to try a new recipe from a friend. She got it from a friend and so I don't know the source/testing etc.

Please let me know if this sounds safe to can:

8 pounds of chili peppers (jalapeno, banana etc)
    6-8 Habanero peppers
    4 pounds chopped onions
    1/2 bushel tomatoes
    2. tsp black pepper
    4T. salt
    4 cups white vinegar
    8 oz jar chopped garlic
    7 cans of 12 oz tomato paste
    1 bottle of 5 oz red hot pepper sauce
    2 T. cumin
    2T chili powder

All mixed etc and then water bathed in pint jars for 15 minutes.

Please let me know your thoughts on this recipe. My friend puts corn and black beans in but from reading here, it sounds like that is best to add when jars of salsa are opened at a later time....

• Marvin Forssander-Baird
    12 years ago

Perhaps a bit of a foolish question, but WHO is Annie? Just curious.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

megkor - this is what I posted on your other post about this recipe:

There is just no way to no for sure since as far as we know it has never been tested for pH level or density. Especially without knowing the source of the recipe as that at least might provide a clue.
    While it has a lot of vinegar it also has a LOT of low acid vegetables in it - many pounds of them. How can anyone know what the pH would be?

Salsa is one of the most risky foods since it is eaten straight from the jar with no further cooking. That's who only tested and approved recipes are recommended.

Safety with salsa requires knowledge of the acidity level and the density to determine proper processing. Both are unknown in this case.

Dave

PS: cre8tivman68 - Annie is one of the regulars here and has been for several years. She developed the recipe and had all the USDA testing done on it for safety approval.

• Marvin Forssander-Baird
    12 years ago

Ah! Thanks, digdirt!

• irishpat
    12 years ago

Is there a difference in the taste of frozen salsa made from fresh garden vegs compared with canned? It is safer to freeze it. Why don't more people just freeze it and save themselves all the measuring, the water bathing, and worrying about the pH ?? Please weigh in with your opinion.

• gardnpondr
    12 years ago

I have made Annie's salsa 3 times so far and wanted to can some this summer to BUT it was too dry and my tomatoes just DID NOT make! :( This salsa has been a BIG hot with my family and with everyone I have given some of it to. We just love it! I don't think there is no improving it. lol It's just sooooo good! IF I could find a good deal on some gallon tomatoes I'd have to make some more of it. Thank you Annie for sharing the recipe with us!