Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracik_gw

Approved recipes

tracik
9 years ago

Is there any other sites to get approved canning recipes from? I have the ball book and I know about the National center for home food preservation.

Thank!!

Comments (6)

• nancyofnc
    9 years ago

I use a lot of recipes from the Bernardin website - it's the Ball equivalent in Canada (click on the Link)
    I also heartily endorse the "Joy of Pickling" and the "Joy of Jams, Jellies, and Other Sweet Preserves" by Linda Ziedrich - she's beyond being just a Master in my opinion.
    "So Easy to Preserve, Revised" is a good reference book with a lot of repeats of the Ball Blue Book and is blessed by the USDA aka NCHFP.
    Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernardin Home Canning Website

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Lots of discussions here about the good books to have (and the bad ones to avoid). Type 'books' in the search.

Otherwise online it is Ball's website freshpreserving.com, NCHFP, the Bernardin website Nance mentioned. Others need vetting of each individual recipe. And here - lots of recipes posted here the search pulls up by food.

Depends on what foods you are primarily interested in.

Dave

• tracik
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks y'all!! I will see if my library has those books! And I book marked that Bernardin site.

I have made a couple of things out of the ball book that I didn't really care for. I guess its mostly going to be trial and error. I just hate wasting! As I make the stuff I mark on the book if I like it or not.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

The books tend to have a focus like pickling, jams/jellies, tomatoes, condiments, etc.

So what is your primary focus? What foods are you working with? Your garden food or things you are buying?

Plus you can always ask here if someone has trade a particular recipe and what they thought of it.

Dave

• tracik
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am buying some stuff and I have a small garden. I'm growing tomatoes, squash, banana peppers, bell peppers and I planted some cantaloupe but so far none have developed. Lots of blooms but no fruit.

I am just looking for some different recipes from what I have seen. I might see a recipe that sounds good and want to try it.

• gardengalrn
    9 years ago

I just go by Ball's, Joy of Pickling and several others recommended here. I love to can but am not at all an expert and come here often for advice. Personally, I listen to what the experts say here and would probably not on other sites. They are very particular about safety and usually point that out (sometimes to the irk of the poster, LOL), if a recipe doesn't seem safe. I have appreciated that through the years and trust them. There is no sense (to me) to put up a product that you have to wonder about, esp when you have little ones around. The Ball Blue Book is a very good place to start, gives basic instruction on tomatoes and other produce and how to can. Good luck with your garden, happy planting and canning!