Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skeip

Dill Pickles-Chase (Sharon)

skeip
13 years ago

Getting ready for "The Season", and am reviewing recipes. I saved this one because it got rave reviews on this site, but I need a bit of clarification. The jars are packed and sealed, but never processed? Did I miss a step or is that correct? Sounds like they are left to ferment in the jars? Clarification greatly appreciated. Here is the recipe I have:

Dill Pickles-Chase (Sharon)

8 pounds 3 to 4 inch long pickling cucumbers

4 cups white vinegar

12 cups water

2/3 cup pickling salt

16 cloves garlic, peeled and halved

8 sprigs fresh dill weed

8 heads fresh dill weed

Wash cucumbers, and place in the sink ( I use the bathtub!) with cold water and lots of ice cubes. Soak in ice water for at least 2 hours but no more than 8 hours. Refresh ice as required. Sterilize 8 (1 quart ) canning jars and lids in boiling water for at least 10 minutes.

In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine the vinegar, water, and pickling salt. Bring the brine to a rapid boil.

In each jar, place 2 half-cloves of garlic, one head of dill, then enough cucumbers to fill the jar (about 1 pound). Then add 2 more garlic halves, and 1 sprig of dill. Fill jars with hot brine. Seal jars, making sure you have cleaned the jar's rims of any residue.

Store pickles for a minimum of 8 weeks before eating. Refrigerate after opening. Pickles will keep for up to 2 years if stored in a cool dry place.

Steve

Comments (6)

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

That is correct. They are not processed. Your call if you feel safe using it.
    There's too much vinegar for fermentation.

They are THE BEST Dills EVER! At least in my book!
    I searched for years for a great recipe that stays crisp (without chemical additions) and this is it!

It's one of only 2 I make now. The other is actually fermented and make a wonderful pickle too.....just takes a lot longer (hands on time, waiting).

Deanna

• readinglady
    13 years ago

That is a recipe from a member of the cooking forum. Annie may have been the first to mention it here. She made it for her father because he refused to eat processed pickles.

There are members who swear by it, but as Deanna said, it's your call on using it. It's not a Ball or otherwise "official" recipe.

Carol

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Yes, that recipe is from Sharon/Chase on the Cooking Forum. She's from Canada, and their rules about processing are different from ours, so she still uses the "open kettle" method of processing those pickles.

Since I don't care for dill pickles all that much, I haven't made any since Dad died, but he didn't like pickles which had been hot water bathed, they got too soft. I made those just for Dad, after lecturing him about how they were not approved by the experts .

Since he didn't much care about the government's approval, I made them anyway, I'm a big proponent of everyone having all the information and then choosing the risks they care to take.

Oh, and his heart disease and diabetes killed him, not the pickles!

Annie

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

That recipe is based on vinegar that was much more acidic than what we have now. This one can lead to botulism since there is not enough acid to keep it safe.
    So, do it at your own risk,but I do not recommend making this unless using at least half 5% acitity vingegar to water ratio. That is the minimum that is needed to prevent botulism. Remember, cucumbers are low acid vegetables.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

I don't think Canadian food-safety regulations are much different from those of the U.S. A tested recipe from either country can be relied upon. Microbiologists don't care what side of the border you're from. They follow the same principles.

Chase's recipe isn't approved by current Canadian standards either. It's an old recipe typical of previous practice in both the U.S. and Canada. There are a lot of people who still make this kind of un-processed pickle.

(I'm not recommending it, just saying it's common.) As already mentioned, it's up to you.

Carol