Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mabeldingeldine_gw

Enchilada Sauce for canning

mabeldingeldine_gw
13 years ago

I thought there was an enchilada sauce recipe on here which was approved for canning, but cannot now find it -- so many really long threads come up!

Does anyone have a recipe to share? I LOVE enchiladas and am hoping for a good tomato and pepper year.

Comments (13)

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Here is a recipe posted by Linda_Lou on a previous thread. The source was not indicated.

Enchilada sauce

Ingredients

12 cups halved cored peeled tomato (about 24 medium or 8 lb)
    water
    spices
    bottled lemon juice
    salt (optional)

You will need
    6 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons oregano
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons ground coriander
    1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt (optional)

Directions
    1 add 2-1/2 tsp of spice blend to each pint jar. if omitting seasoning salt, use only 2 tsp.

2PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.

3COMBINE tomatoes with just enough water to cover in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil gently for 5 minutes.

4ADD specified quantity of spice blend, 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt, if using, to each hot jar.

5PACK tomatoes into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace.

Ladle hot cooking liquid over tomatoes leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.

6PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner 40 minutes for pints and quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Regarding searching the forum: You will have the best luck using Google, not this forum's search feature. So in Google I entered enchilada sauce boiling water bath then in advanced search I entered gardenweb.com as the domain to search.

The result will be that the google search turns up only threads on gardenweb that relate to that topic. In domain to search I could have narrowed even further by specifying http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/harvest and Google would have pulled up only Harvest threads.

Beyond that, if it's a long thread I could open the thread, go to edit at the top of the screen in Windows on the left-hand side and select find on this page. Then enter enchilada and it will locate everywhere in the thread the word enchilada shows up.

This sounds complicated but practice it a couple of times and the result will be much more accurate, efficient searches without the frustration of Gardenweb's utterly inadequate search feature.

Carol

• sharonann1
    13 years ago

You can also check out the Taco Sauce recipe in this booklet from Washington State.

Green Tomatoes or tomatillos can be substituted (per Wash State) for green enchillada suace as well.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Washington State salsa recipes

• James McNulty
    13 years ago

This is a recipe posted by readinglady that I personally use and like. The key to great enchilada sauce is not tomatoes but dried chilies (unless you are making a green sauce and then you must use tomatillos). Pasilla chilies are quite mild and fruit like. You must (for best results) toast the dried Pasilla chillies as specified in recipe before using them.

Enchilada Sauce +
    -----------------------
    3 dried pasilla chiles
    2 c. chicken stock
    1/4 c. fresh cilantro
    3 garlic cloves
    1/2 tbsp oregano
    1/2 tbsp cumin
    2 tbsp chili powder
    6 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp red wine
    1 tomato - chopped
    coarse salt and pepper to taste
    1 tbsp olive oil
    Prep: Over med-high heat, toast chiles until fragrant (~30-60 sec.) Cover with chicken stock and allow to soften for 20 minutes.
    Place chilies & stock in blender. Blend until chopped. Add cilantro, garlic, oregano, cumin, wine, tomato, salt & pepper. Blend until smooth.
    Heat oil in heavy skillet. Pour sauce into oil and cook about 10 minutes.

Â Posted by readinglady z8 OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 16:51
    Assuming the oil were eliminated for canning (which as you pointed out is easy to do as it's the last step in preparation) I think you could quite safely treat this sauce as akin to soup, which would give you a slightly shorter processing time. I think that's the time Katie C used.
    However, for total confidence, the mixed vegetable suggestion, with a slightly longer processing time, is excellent. Density does not seem to be an issue. Certainly a sauce would be thinner than mixed vegetables and I'm assuming you'd process in pints.
    Carol
    (Note: The above copied from an older Harvest Forum post)
    Jim in So Calif

• nacky
    13 years ago

thanks for the good information which is important for others also

thanks cheers!!

[url=:http://www.watersavingsystem.com/water-rain.php]Rain Water Harvesting[/url]

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain Water Harvesting

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Jeez, Jim. You're better than I am at remembering what I'd posted! I'd totally forgotten that one.

Carol

• James McNulty
    13 years ago

Carol,
    I must admit I was perplexed when I saw you post a recipe different from the one I had from your own post. And as I said, I actually make it and like it. Glad I saved your old recipe and post.
    Jim in So Calif

• readinglady
    13 years ago

This is what getting old does to you. I have the recipe, I'd just forgotten about it. Now I'm inspired to make some myself.

We're so far away from canning season right now, it's not at the forefront of my mind.

I've got MasterCook crammed with recipes. I should just scroll through and see what other forgotten favorites there are.

Carol

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Carol & Jim!

Jim, that second recipe sounds like just what I was looking for. Keeping my fingers crossed for good tomatoes & peppers!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, and BTW Carol, thanks for the search tip, I can't believe I didn't think of that!

• tracydr
    13 years ago

The recipe Jim posted is now on my must-do list when it cools off and I make stock.
    Thanks Jim!

• Reeney26
    10 years ago

I found a great recipe today that I think is the perfect 'mock' enchilada sauce. (Linked below and included at the end of this post - sauce portion only.) This is a dish I would serve much more frequently, if it weren't such a pain to make!

Looking for feedback on using STORE-BOUGHT tomato sauce and pressure canning this recipe. (Just the sauce - not including the meat!)

One side of my brain says that the commercial sauce will be sufficiently acidified, but the other (safety-first!) side is saying, 'Meh, maybe not?!'

Wondering if any of you gurus know the ph of commercially canned tomatoes, or if this recipe would be safe, regardless.

I did look through this board, and the other recipes sound great. I just don't want to mess around with sourcing dried chili peppers, etc.

Thanks in advance!

RECIPE & INSTRUCTIONS:
    1 medium onion, chopped fine
    1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped fine
    1 teaspoon canola oil
    3 medium cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    3 teaspoons sugar
    2 (8-oz) cans tomato sauce
    1 cup water

In a large saucepan, combine the onion, jalapeno, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and oil. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until the onions and peppers have softened, 8-10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and sugar, and cook until fragrant, less than 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato sauce and water. Bring to a simmer.
    Strain the sauce through a strainer into a medium bowl, pressing the onion mixture to extract as much liquid as possible. Season sauce with additional salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the leftover onion mixture from the strainer to a large bowl and set aside.

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2011/09/red-chile-sauce-chicken-enchiladas.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I'd go ahead and add some lemon juice and cut the water down by the same amount. that why you'll be safer on the acid side.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Reeney - your question isn't completely clear to me. The pH of canned tomatoes isn't relevant. It is sufficiently acid for it to be commercially canned, yes. But it doesn't provide acidification of anything else.

Are you asking if this recipe could be home canned? It isn't intended as such - it clearly states on the website that it is for fresh use only. So it is a cooking recipe, not a canning recipe.

It contains oil which would have to be eliminated, it is all low acid ingredients (assuming you'd be making a big batch big enough to make canning it even worth while). It contains no acid other than the citric acid that is added to commercial tomato sauce and that would only cover the pH of the sauce itself, nothing else. So at the very least it would have to be pressure canned but for how long? Who knows because we have to measurement for the pH or the density. Could only guess anywhere from 15-25 mins..

Canning it would be a do at your own risk thing.

Dave